Bombe Adventure - Project Status
Thanks for the encouragement. Serpentine drawer fronts will be a challenge. Probably no easy way to shape them other than to rough out w/ bandsaw and then a lot of hand work (excuse to buy some quality rasps and carving tools!)
Calling Peter Tremblay!!

He's been down this road and may have some useful suggestions from his experience.

Frank S in Iowa
Excellent work!! Thanks for posting this and keep it up!!

And yes, I too saw "Bombe" and immediately thought of our "banjo pickin priest."
Did he ever finish his?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Wow!  What a great and challenging project.  It's looking fantastic so far, and exactly what this woodworking hobby is all about.

Keep the updates coming.  And yes, any reason to get more tools is a good reason.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
What the others said.....I'll be watching for updates. Take more pictures as you work through milling the drawers!
Yup, I'm gonna be watching this one, too...
Winkgrin

Great work, so far!
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Impressive. The kind of work Phil Lowe or Chuck Bender would be good at if only hand tools are mostly used.

If I had to guess, the drawers are not easy but the frame was the more difficult part...getting it dadoed (?), assembled (dead square!) etc. Such casework can look deceivingly easy.

Simon
The drawers are by far the most challenging part. The case is actually not that difficult. I used a table saw and dado blade to remove all my waste then a hand plane to take it to final shape. I’m mine I curved all my drawer sides to match the case so the compound angles on the dovetails can offer some challenges too. Her is the one I made a few years back

Attached Files Image(s)

Labor-intensive pieces!

Simon
Dave Diaman, you are a magician! That's a beautiful piece!