I volunteered to make some wood toys
(12-27-2019, 08:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: A quick and easy project is lawn dice. 

Chop 4" x 4" stock into perfect cubes.

Radius all edges on a router table.

Use a forstner bit to make 1/8" depth dots.

Then paint the dots. 

Clear coat

It is fairly easy to paint within the circles/holes made by the forstner bits.

The video below shows using a magic marker for darkening the dots.  Paint will yield a richer black and is easy enough with a small brush.  Anything that goes outside the hole will clear up when you are sanding.

There are dozens of dice games listed on line.

A set of six dice retails for  $26.00 on Amazon, so not a "cheap" gift.    It can also be played on a carpeted surface.

This video shows it better:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sx9t7JCpBw
I did something similar, and it was a big hit...used the forstner bit, but went a bit deeper. Started making my own, but ended up purchasing tapered wood plugs for pips (walnut for contrast, as I used oak for the dice) and glued them in place. Planed the pips close to flush, sanded smooth and applied food safe finish.
(12-27-2019, 08:49 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I did something similar, and it was a big hit...used the forstner bit, but went a bit deeper. Started making my own, but ended up purchasing tapered wood plugs for pips (walnut for contrast, as I used oak for the dice) and glued them in place. Planed the pips close to flush, sanded smooth and applied food safe finish.

I see that there is one vendor that uses a branding iron for the dots.  It looks nice too.  His set sells for $50.00 (six dice), so it does not seem like a cheap gift. 

It seems difficult to locate untreated 4 x 4 s in my area unless you are buying cedar.  Treated lumber would be a no-no for toys though.  Cedar would not be my first choice, it splits too easily.  I would hope for some Douglas Fir pieces.  Hardwood would be over-kill for this type of project.

https://mynorthernbackyard.com/6-great-d...-backyard/
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks for the lawn dice idea. Will make a set to try out on family and go from there.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
Found a group, CAN Council (Child, Abuse, and Neglect Council) will happily take all the toys I can make. If any Woodnetters would like to make toys I’m sure there is a CAN Council or like organization in your area.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.