Latest projects
I think the cheap pine is especially prone to chip out when you're going in an out of the grain like that. I had a similar experience pattern routing once. Tossed the piece across the floor. You may consider upgrading the router bit. I have had good experience with a shear cutting flush trim bit. Half inch shank,. I forget the bit diameter, but it's at least a half inch. I think the larger diameter helps too. I think I got it from Rockler... But many places have them. Seriously, I think the bit will help a lot.

The hand saver is a work of art in itself! Dig the band saw boxes too.
Benny

(01-02-2020, 01:21 PM)bennybmn Wrote: I think the cheap pine is especially prone to chip out when you're going in an out  of the grain like that. I had a similar experience pattern routing once. Tossed the piece across the floor.  You may consider upgrading the router bit. I have had good experience with a shear cutting flush trim bit. Half inch shank,. I forget the bit diameter, but it's at least a half inch. I think the larger diameter helps too. I think I got it from Rockler... But many places have them. Seriously, I think the bit will help a lot.

The hand saver is a work of art in itself! Dig the band saw boxes too.

The last cut I took out 9/16" on 4 passes w/the router.
The flush cut was a breeze.  
Went really slow and it was smooth and clean.
Definitely better to let the router do the work.

The hand saver....thanks!
Necessity is the mother of invention.
The more I use it the better it works.

Our home made jigs and stuff don't have to be ugly.
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
You put any finish on shop tools? I tend not to, since I'm usually eager to use them.
Benny

(01-03-2020, 10:40 AM)bennybmn Wrote: You put any finish on shop tools? I tend not to, since I'm usually eager to use them.

I guess I'm the same way w/jig and small stuff.
I do finish the shop "furniture".

Work bench top in the garage.
[Image: spWQe5Z.jpg]

Sander table for the basement.
[Image: fMd5RWJ.jpg]

Flip top for scroll saw and planer.
[Image: tqrcdcp.jpg]
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
Nice job on the inlays.  I've done several flat work projects with inlay.  Using it on a bandsaw box is a real nice touch.
John
Another heart box w/a planned inlay.

Thoughts.....

[Image: xyFU6B8.jpg]

[Image: ldJRrMY.jpg]

[Image: VicOJlA.jpg]
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
Prototype Golden Spiral box.  Build for NIL. 

Thougths.......  

[Image: pWvDMjd.jpg]

[Image: R8ms4gS.jpg]

[Image: 6bk5Vm4.jpg]

[Image: vqD8MXG.jpg]
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
Decided to scrap my cutting board w/red oak.  Using half of it to veneer a Golden
sprial box.  Created opportunities for some unsual fixes.  Really having some
real fun w/this one.  

[Image: TqN8J8X.jpg]

[Image: ADnxNWq.jpg]

[Image: vjx5UZK.jpg]
[Image: ECXjbzH.jpg]

[Image: NwO9yUp.jpg]

[Image: KXzJXy6.jpg]

[Image: wUFyiPE.jpg]

[Image: aQtrsaI.jpg]

...thoughts....
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan
Its great to see how creative other folks are with their shops and scraps. The re-use of your inlay practice boards is very cool. Love the mini router table idea. I have been playing with that in my head and your post may be the thing to get me moving on it. The cutting board to bandsaw box transformation gave me my smile for the morning, thanks.

I'm big on safety and your hand-saver is right up my alley. I'm glad to see your scroll saw on a flip top. A flip top table was one of the best things I made early on. It served me for several different tools and currently resides at dear old dad's house holding his planer and sander. I often think about what I will use it for once it comes home to roost and my scroll saw may make the perfect partner for something else.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(01-18-2020, 10:11 AM)GeeDub Wrote: Its great to see how creative other folks are with their shops and scraps.  The re-use of your inlay practice boards is very cool.  Love the mini router table idea.  I have been playing with that in my head and your post may be the thing to get me moving on it.  The cutting board to bandsaw box transformation gave me my smile for the morning, thanks.

Thanks!

I'm going to steal some of your ideas.
I like the plywood jaws on your pipe clamps.
When flipped they act as stands..... nice.

Like the taped piece on outside edge of the
router when cutting against the pattern.  Nice.

I like the intersecting lines of the inlays.  Nice.

I like the cove for a handle on the cutting board
My board is not that thick.....so no cove. ...but very nice touch.

New board is built and 1st inlay is glued up.
The practice boards were well worth the effort.
[Image: FiY9VYj.jpg]
he not busy being born,
Is busy dying.
--Bob Dylan