Grandson joined the Air Force
Maple and bloodwood with walnut hidden drawer. Top and front AF logos are bloodwood and a purpleheart B1 bomber silhouettes. Finished with shellac. Simple mitered corners.

Hidden drawer opens by unscrewing the correct foot.  

A very thoughtful gift. And thanks to your grandson for serving!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Very cool, there's no doubt you are justifiably proud of him.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-27-2019, 11:53 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Maple and bloodwood with walnut hidden drawer. Top and front AF logos are bloodwood and a purpleheart B1 bomber silhouettes. Finished with shellac. Simple mitered corners.

Hidden drawer opens by unscrewing the correct foot.  

Well, grandpa flunked aircraft recognition.  Succeeded admirably at woodworking, though.  

Folks at Knob Noster will tell you it's a B2.  
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
1, 2, 32...whatever it takes!

Cool, and very thoughtful and appropriate to the occasion!
Very nice, sure he will appreciate it.  Because Grandpa made it.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Beautifully made & designed.  Grandpa made it. That's a keeper with lots of emotion.
Congrats to your grandson and good job on the box. The silhouette is indeed a B-2 bomber. When I was in the the Skunk Works in Palmdale, CA, I used to see B-2's all the time. Northrop runs the depot there. I've also had the privilege of seeing the B-2's up close and personal on a visit to Whiteman AFB (work-related). It's an impressive and complex jet.

My son is in the Air Force. He's an air traffic controller at Nellis AFB. He's about a week away from getting deployed to the middle east. My father was a career Air Force meteorologist. I'm a retired Army officer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Very clever hidden compartment!

Does your grandson know what he will be doing in the USAF?
(12-28-2019, 10:33 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Very clever hidden compartment!

Does your grandson know what he will be doing in the USAF?

He is on a deferred reporting enlistment, reports in August. His first two interests are linguistics(Russian) and Public Affairs. Testing showed he is qualified for both plus others.  Will find out in August.