Cutting board ??, wood movement
New idea for end grain cutting board. Want to cut a 1/4" recess near one corner of the board, will take a matching size piece of wood where I have inlaid the receipients initials and glue into recess. Will then sand smooth. 

Question is would I have to worry about wood movement if I were to do this. The inlay would be face grain inlaid into the end grain of the board. However it is not very large nor very deep into the board. Inlaid piece about 2" by 3".

Do y'all think this would work or would it split the board?

Thanks
(12-28-2019, 07:46 AM)Randy C Wrote: New idea for end grain cutting board. Want to cut a 1/4" recess near one corner of the board, will take a matching size piece of wood where I have inlaid the receipients initials and glue into recess. Will then sand smooth. 

Question is would I have to worry about wood movement if I were to do this. The inlay would be face grain inlaid into the end grain of the board. However it is not very large nor very deep into the board. Inlaid piece about 2" by 3".

Do y'all think this would work or would it split the board?

Thanks

I don't think the board will split but the inlay might pop out.
For most woods, 3” of cross-grain usually isn’t fatal. Make sure the fit is tight, especially on the only two edges of the inlay that has long grain to long grain when set into the board.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop