electric clothes dryer - heating coil
electric dryer heating coil - is it either ALL on or ALL off?  clothes dry but not as fast as usual.
(12-30-2019, 03:58 PM)varkpilot Wrote: electric dryer heating coil - is it either ALL on or ALL off?  clothes dry but not as fast as usual.

First I would check that the exhaust vent is not clogged.  Try Google your dryer model and look up a electrical schematic and it will show if there is just one element or several elements.   Roly
Just went through this. Check for lint anywhere along the exhaust path.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
another vote for exhaust.  Ours stopped drying thoroughly, subsequently discovered my wife had a christmas decoration partially blocking the vent outside.  Cleared it and went back to working normally.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
(12-30-2019, 03:58 PM)varkpilot Wrote: electric dryer heating coil - is it either ALL on or ALL off?  clothes dry but not as fast as usual.

There are some that have three leads to three elements, so it's possible that one or more are burned out.  But most have only a single element and just cycle the element to control the heat.

Not hard to check, though.

Got a make and model?
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I had the same issue and there were two heating coils. Only one went bad.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
Too many bends in the discharge hose?
Too long?
Full of lint?
Kinked?
Have you looked inside the vent outside the house?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Does it squeak when it runs? My previous one did. Bad belt around the drum so the clothes weren't tumbling as they should. After I replaced the belt the dryer ran a lot better.

Had a dryer quit drying completely.

Turned lights in room off, opened dryer door and pushed button so it could run.

Saw one element glow, other didn't.

took about an hour to replace both (just to make sure),

Recently had ours slow down. checked exhaust and found crud build-up on inside of louvers.  Pulled off and it was back to full heat.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I kept losing heating coils and it turned out to be related to the kink in the vent on the way through the outside wall.  I re-did it and managed to get it almost straight.  I would be surprised if too many of them have multiple heating elements, they are built as cheaply as possible.