Stanley #4 iron compatible with MF #9?
I have a MF #9 plane, and I would like to install a new iron and chip breaker set.

I don't have a #4 in good condition that I could swap into the MF to try this out.

Is the Stanley #4 set compatible with the MF?

I was looking at the Veritas PM-V11 iron/breaker set.  Any comments on that set would also be appreciated.
Steve
Since I have both the No. 9 and the Stanley No. 4....I could slip down to the shop, and let you know....main problem might be the slot for the depth adjustor.....

BRB....

I'm back....swapped them between the 2 planes...no issues.   Same width iron, slots are the same...should work.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Write Lee Valley to ask if the chip breaker is compatible with the M-F plane.  It might help to know when your plane was made.
There was one time that I got a Hock (for Stanley) No. 3 blade & breaker set, thinking it would be great for my Millers Falls No. 8 plane.   Long story short, the chipbreaker didn't work well for depth adjustment range.    So I'd recommend proceeding with caution, concentrating on the distance between the front edge of the breaker and the slot in the breaker.

Good luck!
Chris
I had similar situation - ordered blade and chipbreaker for Type 19 #4, it fits right.
Then wanted another set for [older] #6. First tried wider blade with 2inch chipbreaker and noticed wrong distance. Therefore ordered only a blade.
I cannot measure the chipbreaker at the moment, but can do later if you wish.

As for modern machined chipbreakers, I prefer more robust old/bent ones - easier to repair.

Also, at the time of order I was considering 0.125in version instead of standard 0.100in. I went with 0.100in and Iam glad I did that. Thicker one is only more work when grinding bevel, thinner one seems to be stable enough.
(12-31-2019, 02:06 PM)arnman Wrote: I have a MF #9 plane, and I would like to install a new iron and chip breaker set.

I don't have a #4 in good condition that I could swap into the MF to try this out.

Is the Stanley #4 set compatible with the MF?

I was looking at the Veritas PM-V11 iron/breaker set.  Any comments on that set would also be appreciated.
I have the 2” PM-V11 set in an MF #9 and in a MF #14, and also the 2-3/8” PM-V11 set in a MF #18 and in a MF #22. They work perfectly.
(12-31-2019, 07:02 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: I have the 2” PM-V11 set in an MF #9 and in a MF #14, and also the 2-3/8” PM-V11 set in a MF #18 and in a MF #22. They work perfectly.

Thanks for the comments everyone.  Great information.  I will report back after I get the new iron and breaker installed.  It might be a few months.  I just placed another order for some other "toys".
Steve