Wall hung multiple slot magaine rack help
I was commissioned to make four, 10 slot wall hung magazine racks for a business.  As simple of a project this is, I cant wrap my head around assembly.  Since each slot is to be a diagonal it will be very hard to make dado's.  I do have a CNC and was thinking about programming the cuts but how else could a person approach this so that no fastners are visible?
WIth angled, you know you will have left and right cuts for the angles.  I did ome that were 90 and it was easy with radial arm and datto..  It migh be easier to make spacers and  glue and pin nail to each side. All cuts the same angles and spacing would be correct.  Perhaps use plywood 1/2"  fpr sides and 1/4"  for spacers  then put banding over the end.
However if you are x-spurt with cnc it might be easier.to use it.  I know nothing about cnc.

Just my 1 cent.
(12-31-2019, 06:31 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: I was commissioned to make four, 10 slot wall hung magazine racks for a business.  As simple of a project this is, I cant wrap my head around assembly.  Since each slot is to be a diagonal it will be very hard to make dado's.  I do have a CNC and was thinking about programming the cuts but how else could a person approach this so that no fastners are visible?

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to make up a fixture to hold the side pieces for dadoes or sliding dovetails with a template to guide a router. I could sketch something if you gave some details. Or you should be able to do it with the CNC machine, though. Or you could use the CNC machine to make the template and fixture for routing the sides.
I used to work in a stair shop. The angled cuts on these are not functionally different from routing stringers. I have also made plantation shutters.

I would make one hardboard template to run a router bushing guide in. This easily flips over to cut lefts and rights. Using one template to cut both sides means that they will match even if not perfectly lauded out. 

You can make the template by hand or use the CNC to cut the template.

This is one of the real uses of a CNC in my shop. I occasionally make actual parts on it, but I do a lot more ofmaking templates, sleds and other upgrades for my “traditional” tools.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(01-05-2020, 08:05 PM)handi Wrote: I used to work in a stair shop. The angled cuts on these are not functionally different from routing stringers. I have also made plantation shutters.

I would make one hardboard template to run a router bushing guide in. This easily flips over to cut lefts and rights. Using one template to cut both sides means that they will match even if not perfectly lauded out. 

You can make the template by hand or use the CNC to cut the template.

This is one of the real uses of a CNC in my shop. I occasionally make actual parts on it, but I do a lot more ofmaking templates, sleds and other upgrades for my “traditional” tools.

Good idea with the template.  The cnc would take more set up time to rout the actual parts vs making a template and doing them manually.