King bed under box spring support???-Completed pics added
Happy New Year to all you Woodnetters!!

Building a cherry king bed with cleats on the side rails supporting cross slats. I'm planning seven cross slats out of ash, 3/4" x 5" x 77 ish long. They will be held in place with a dowel thru either end into the cleats. The box spring is made in 2 pieces, split down the center. 

I was originally thinking of running a rail lengthwise down the center of the bed but shelved that idea because I couldn't find a suitable method to join the center rail to the head and foot rails that is easily removable to tear down the bed. Will a single suport foot in the center of the middle slat provide sufficient support or should I add more? I'm open to other methods too. What do guys and girls think? 

Thanks,  g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
With the split box spring,I used the metal frame you can buy. Figured it was designed to be correct. After I built the wood part of the frame the metal one fit inside. There were holes in the metal one that I put bolts thru to fasten the two together. With the design we settled on their was no way you could see the metal frame
(12-31-2019, 07:19 PM)Turner52 Wrote: With the split box spring,I used the metal frame you can buy. Figured it was designed to be correct. After I built the wood part of the frame the metal one fit inside. There were holes in the metal one that I put bolts thru to fasten the two together. With the design we settled on their was no way you could see the metal frame

That is a good solution, unfortunately I'm way too far down the construction path to use it.

Thanks, g

I think you're looking for this center rail connector. I used it for a king (but no boxframe) to support the slats. I had the 2x4 on edge rather than on its face like the picture for more support

https://www.rockler.com/center-bed-rail-fasteners
(01-01-2020, 07:27 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: I think you're looking for this center rail connector. I used it for a king (but no boxframe) to support the slats.  I had the 2x4 on edge rather than on its face like the picture for more support

https://www.rockler.com/center-bed-rail-fasteners

Dayumn!! Thank you! That is EXACTLY the item I was looking for. Went to the closest Rockler (40 miles each way) and searched the bed hardware section with a new sales person with no luck. I had searched online both in general and specifically at Rockler and never found these. Go figure. The local Rockler used to have fantastic people but they have completely turned over in the past few years and the replacements just aren't up to speed yet, hopefully they'll get there soon. 

AND maybe my search capabilities will improve too.

Thanks again,  g

(01-01-2020, 08:12 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Thanks again,  g

You're welcome.  I have Rockler to thank/blame for getting me seriously interested in woodworking nearly 20 years ago.  It was that bed I made with that bracket as well as some other Rockler parts that really piqued my interest.

Coincidentally the same night we slept on the new bed, around 2am, we experienced our first California earthquake (San Diego).  It was my first earthquake and as the wave rolled in from my head down to my toes and with the sound of wood slats slapping up and down on that center support beam, I thought I royally screwed up when I put it together and what I was feeling was the bed falling apart, not an earthquake!

Paul
I made a king size bed.  I used popular for the slats.  For center support I made an I beam(think engineered floor joist vertical plywood with 2x cap on top and bottom) the height to the bottom of the slats.  I just used one screw per slat screwed down into the I beam. It is rock solid and doesn't want to twist out .
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(01-01-2020, 09:32 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: I thought I royally screwed up when I put it together and what I was feeling was the bed falling apart, not an earthquake!

Paul

LMAO!! Fantastic back story. I've already ordered the brackets from Amazoo, they'll be here Friday

g

(01-01-2020, 11:20 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: I made a king size bed.  I used popular for the slats.  For center support I made an I beam(think engineered floor joist vertical plywood with 2x cap on top and bottom) the height to the bottom of the slats.  I just used one screw per slat screwed down into the I beam. It is rock solid and doesn't want to twist out .

That also sounds like a super solution. I'm way too far along to fit a vertical beam underneath.
Thanks, g

The beds I've made, I use a similar approach to CARYinWA, but my center support is not attached to the slats.  When the bedframe needs to be taken apart or moved, the center support can easily be removed by sliding it out.  The cross slats are screwed to the rails but not the center support.  It's not going anywhere and is plenty strong.  
This is a full size bed frame I made about 11 years ago.

Attached Files Image(s)