filling pores of white oak with color
I want to make a couple of pieces using ebonized WO but I want to fill the pores with some colored material that will show through the final coats.

I think I've seen it done but can't remember/find the way it was done.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?  
Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've filled the pores of WO, but never on ebonized oak. Anyway, I just mix a gel stain of a dark color with Pore o' Pack filler, and work it into the grain with a credit card or spatula. Then wipe the excess off. Let it dry overnight and repeat (usually twice for me). I'm thinking this won't show through an ebonized finish unless thit fails to stick to the stain/filler mix. What if you did the ebonizing first, then filled the pores. No idea if that will work, but might be worth a try. I'm sure someone will have a better idea.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-01-2020, 06:57 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I'm sure someone will have a better idea.

I have no idea.  But I have a couple of questions:  

1.  What is "ebonized"?

2.  What color do wish it to have?  If black, then use a vinegar/steel wool mix and sand it down after drying.  The black will fill the pores and sanding will bring the rest of the board back to white.

Sorry I couldn't be any help.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
After the wood is ebonized, then fill with a contrasting filler,
(12-31-2019, 10:25 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I want to make a couple of pieces using ebonized WO but I want to fill the pores with some colored material that will show through the final coats.

I think I've seen it done but can't remember/find the way it was done.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?  
Confused
Confused

Ceruse (white lead pigment) was the original way of highlighting the pores of white oak.  Liming wax is the modern way, but you can't topcoat over wax.  You might want to try sealing the wood after the ebonizing process, then using a colored grain filler to fill the pores with whatever color you want, then sealing and topcoating.  Sealing the wood after ebonizing should make if easier to completely remove the filler that doesn't go into the pores and keep the ebonized background clean.  

FWIW, there are several ways to ebonize wood, but India Ink is about the easiest and most fool proof way of doing it.  

John