Paduak + The Sun mystery--Thoughts?
I built a table using paduak-selected specifically because my past Paduak projects have all aged to a very dark reddish brown.  The ageing on these were all accelerated by sunlight, but after about a decade everything caught up.

These were all finished in super blonde shellac.  

This was finished in Deft Spray Laq bought in a gallon can.  In this case, the top was exposed to sun through a window and in a year, that section has turned a very fugly tan/silver, while the unexposed top Paduak Red.  There is a chess board set in the middle that is satinwood and cocobolo, and finished in Deft Spraylaq from the lowes rattle can.  This chessboard shows very mild fading of the cocobolo and nothing else.

Based on the above what I can't figure is whether the fugly color is the wood, or the laquer.  If laquer-great!  If wood, it's a problem because the top has some very thin ebony inlay I'd be concerned about sanding through to get back to the red paduak.

Thoughts?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

(01-01-2020, 02:30 PM)jgourlay Wrote: I built a table using paduak-selected specifically because my past Paduak projects have all aged to a very dark reddish brown.  The ageing on these were all accelerated by sunlight, but after about a decade everything caught up.

These were all finished in super blonde shellac.  

This was finished in Deft Spray Laq bought in a gallon can.  In this case, the top was exposed to sun through a window and in a year, that section has turned a very fugly tan/silver, while the unexposed top Paduak Red.  There is a chess board set in the middle that is satinwood and cocobolo, and finished in Deft Spraylaq from the lowes rattle can.  This chessboard shows very mild fading of the cocobolo and nothing else.

Based on the above what I can't figure is whether the fugly color is the wood, or the laquer.  If laquer-great!  If wood, it's a problem because the top has some very thin ebony inlay I'd be concerned about sanding through to get back to the red paduak.

Thoughts?

Were pictures part of your post?  If so, they aren't showing up.  

John
It's the wood. AP is very sensitive to change from light, even low levels, albeit slowly and, from what I've seen, doesn't get that ugly brown hue at low levels, just much darker red. It would be interesting to do a test.

Here's one opinion on finishing
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(01-01-2020, 03:34 PM)SteveS Wrote: It's the wood. AP is very sensitive to change from light, even low levels, albeit slowly and, from what I've seen, doesn't get that ugly brown hue at low levels, just much darker red. It would be interesting to do a test.

Here's one opinion on finishing

Thanks!
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Here is a link you will like to see.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic...tic-woods/

I do not know about large items, but I am working on something to reduce the time to color change on turned items.

I started 6 years ago I used spf75 which is a UV blocker and I did 4 test pieces.

1.  Red flame Box Elder I put one coat on after turning and it stayed pretty good for 4 years and is now losing its color

2.  Vase with Padauk and Maple I put one coat on after turning and all finish was done and then another coat 6 months later and it still has half its color as of 5 years ago.

3.  Padauk box with Walnut and again the same process but added a coat after the first year and then second year and then third year and it looks really good now after 6 years.

4.  Padauk box with WOak and again coat after 6 months and then once every year for 5 years and the color has not changed.

I did do a sample with Bloodwood lazy susan which I did for my cousin and told her to put on some spf over 75 every year and have not seen it for 3 years and do not know if she is putting it on.

[attachment=22844]

I did not know until after I turned it that the center pole was curly pink ivory.
Crazy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.