Best way to sell hand tools like planes,etc
i have ten L/N hand planes I want to sell. Mostly unused/new. I’m thinking about 60% retail for pricing and maybe putting on eBay. I thought about posting in the Swap’N’Sell forum, but not sure about how I’d get paid and I don’t want to ship until I’m paid. 

Any suggestions appreciated!
VH07V  
(01-01-2020, 09:39 PM)EightFingers Wrote: i have ten L/N hand planes I want to sell. Mostly unused/new. I’m thinking about 60% retail for pricing and maybe putting on eBay. I thought about posting in the Swap’N’Sell forum, but not sure about how I’d get paid and I don’t want to ship until I’m paid. 

Paypal get paid then ship or accept checks wait until they clear then ship.  Make sure you have a good idea of 
what shipping costs before you get into this
 Paypal has good prices on UPS or use Pirate Ship for USPS that aren't flat rate.  Pirate Ship can save  money on heavy small items
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I’ll look into Pirate Ship. Most of the planes should fit in flat rate boxes. I still have a PayPal account, I need to update it as I haven’t used it for about four years.
VH07V  
IF you are a seller on Ebay.....they have an "app" that allows you to print off a shipping label.   Postage is paid at Ebay's rate.   Merely affix the label to the box, and drop off at the Post Office.....As soon as the Buyer pays, the app lets you know, and will then allow a label to be printed out.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Everyone that sells here does get paid before they ship.  It's honor system, and in years most of us have never had an issue. You can accept payment many ways.  

You'll get a higher price from Ebay, because of international buyers, but will pay more in fees, and complications.

Listing and selling here is as easy as posting items, accepting payment, and shipping them.

For sure though, add in insurance when you ship. In case something happens, you can fix it for yourself and the buyer.
People here and on Ebay will pounce on LN planes, so I wouldn't undercharge for them. Maybe I'm wrong--others here will know better--but I think I've bought used LN planes in very good condition for 75% of new and was happy for the discount. For planes that haven't been used much you may be able to get even more.  It depends on the condition.  In any case, it's nice to sell to woodnetters: you can price them lower and avoid Ebay's selling charges.
(01-01-2020, 09:39 PM)EightFingers Wrote: i have ten L/N hand planes I want to sell. Mostly unused/new. I’m thinking about 60% retail for pricing and maybe putting on eBay. I thought about posting in the Swap’N’Sell forum, but not sure about how I’d get paid and I don’t want to ship until I’m paid. 

Ebay charges 10%  Sell & Swap is free.  So let's say you go 60% at ebay will net you 50% and chance of problems.  I would go S&S and for a bit more than 60% with less chance of problems
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

For sure I’d rather sell here first. So how long does it take for a check to “clear”? Who would be willing to wait that long?
VH07V  
PayPal is instant. If anyone pays you with PP, you have the funds immediately.
What’cha got?
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Yea Paypal is instant, with checks it depends on your bank but checks from most banks will clear in two days.