Best way to sell hand tools like planes,etc
Deal through Paypal. Avoid the family & friends thing unless you're really selling to them. Paypal can refuse to protect you if you were selling to people not in that category and something went wrong.

Don't deal with checks if you're doing it with a stranger. If you do, make sure you wait it out (not just a few days please -- if stolen checks are involved, you'd still be on the hook, cleared or not):
https://www.thebalance.com/clearing-chec...ams-315292

Both businesses and persons have fallen victims to scams involving checks on a DAILY basis, and every time the fine prints protect the banks not the victims.

Could you sell them on Craiglist and handle CASH (small bills) only?

Also be extremely cautious if you listed your goods separately but someone offered to buy them all....

My brother tried to sell his fancy high-end sports car, and he received a certified bank draft that was found fraudulent as he insisted his bank take as long as it needed. The buyer even showed my brother a scanned copy of the transaction slip from the issuing bank! It isn't easy to outsmart the professional crooks. Some scammers have 1800 numbers as well as "legitimate" looking caller ids and websites to fool the big fish.

Simon
I buy S&S often. I assure you the honor system is definitely a two-way street. If you have half-a-dozen posts to your ID, are a month old, and you are selling, I instantly assume you are a greedy Bay parolee. Or, whatever. My paranoia of the Bay is boundless.

I think [Admiral] sells here without PayPal. Check with him. About the only time I use PayPal is once a year or three, and it's a hassle to recharge the account. I am from pre-computer days. 3 weeks to order and receive only makes the delivery that much nicer.
(01-03-2020, 02:26 PM)hbmc Wrote: I think [Admiral] sells here without PayPal. Check with him. About the only time I use PayPal is once a year or three, and it's a hassle to recharge the account. I am from pre-computer days. 3 weeks to order and receive only makes the delivery that much nicer.

Generally, I deal with USPS money orders, checks if I know someone from the forum discussions.  Never been burned here. I don't have paypal or any other EFT, so I'm a dinosaur, but folks get what they want and are happy.  So, old school works.  If the OP wants to sell in bulk, shoot me a PM with the description of the items and we can make something happen.  But selling here is in my view much better than ebay, but then again, I'm not looking for the last dollar and with LN stuff ebay can maximize sales prices but OP should be prepared for some international shipping which is for me a PITA; and don't know about the fees other than I know they can be somewhat significant, I gave up on ebay a long time ago.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
If you've ruled out Paypal I would concur with using Admiral's approach to payment which is, "I don't have paypal, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum then checks are fine".

Outside of that, asking 60% of new for LN stuff is WAY to low. You may have planes that are worth more (discontinued) than they were new. If it were me, I would start at 80-85% of new if you go the Ebay route...on the forums, maybe 70-75% and adjust down if you have to. If, as you say, most are new or unused you won't have to worry about getting rid of them.

Edit: Sorry Admiral. We posted at the same time.
Admiral, I will never do international shipping, US only.

I’m inclined to try here first since there is quite a bit of history so I will.
VH07V  
If seller doesn't accept checks or PayPal, there's always US Postal money order - guaranteed payment on deposit.

Have always been satisfied on both sides of buy/sell here. And I have never had to be concerned about the quality of what I was getting. People here have always been honest about what they are selling.

EightFingers, any idea when you'll be listing your items?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Benjamin Franklin
(01-09-2020, 11:38 AM)dave brown Wrote: EightFingers, any idea when you'll be listing your items?

Right?  I am guessing there will be a line.
Swap and Sell here. You will reach dedicated woodworkers and you'll more than likely get them sold in only a couple of days. No eBay seller fees.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I take paypal and If  they are careful about how to do it, by sending to a friend or something,  I get the whole amount and  if they don't want to do it that way then they pay the paypal charge which is about an extra 4%.

I also take personal checks and I haven't been stung here. I am a small time seller And the people on the forum are mostly honest. An example would be handsplanesandmore, he has been around this forum for a long time and if he bought something from me, he is not going to send me a bad check. He can't afford to or he would be gone from the forum.

If I recognize a name I don't wait for it to clear. I do wait for it to get here, people do change their minds. If you stop and think about it they are trusting you by sending you money. A bad check or I don't send them a product, what is the difference. Trust is a two way street.

I have been here 19 years and never had a check not clear. Now Ebay that is a whole different animal, and I don't sell there.