I don't have a lather, need to taper some foot rest parts
(01-02-2020, 11:58 AM)KLaz Wrote: Spoke shave or even a rasp.  Doesn't look like you need to remove much.

Or a belt sander a random orbital sander with a coarse grit. 

That whole project was based on the use of a lathe.  It seems odd to tackle that project without one handy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-03-2020, 08:15 AM)Cooler Wrote: Or a belt sander a random orbital sander with a coarse grit. 

That whole project was based on the use of a lathe.  It seems odd to tackle that project without one handy.

Cooler?

Yes, life would be easier with a lathe but I need to make do with what I have.  Also figuring how to do things in different ways adds to the challenge.
Dumber than I appear
(01-03-2020, 08:40 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Cooler?

Yes, life would be easier with a lathe but I need to make do with what I have.  Also figuring how to do things in different ways adds to the challenge.

Have you considered making a lathe for future use. Probably the easiest power tool to make. Taunton publications had a soft cover book by Richard Raffan , he wrote several books on wood turning. One of his books shows 3 different drawings for lathes. One is a large bowl turning lathe that if I recall was made from steel. Another was a little " Beer Box" lathe and the third was a lathe about 8'-0" long. I made the last one which I still use.
Headstock and tailstock spindles I bought from Grizzly as replacement parts. I shortened the stretchers to 66" instead of 96". Other than that I pretty much followed the plans.
mike, another Polack
It sounds like you have it mostly done. To round the ends, you could clamp your random orbit sander upside down in a vice, hold the leg in your hand, and spin it as you touch the end to the sander. You could do the taper that way too.