Hammer question
I've been going thru a bunch of garage sale hammers, cleaning them up, rehandleing a few, and purging a few (duplicates) into the garage pile.  What are these called and what is their purpose?  I've done pretty good on the rest, but these have me stumped.  The top one has concentric rings on the face.  I am guessing the bottom one is a cross pein hammer with a different style or unique manufacturer.
The middle one has one round face with a rolled edge, and the other face is rectangular with rounded ends and the face itself is convex (it must be fairly common, I have two)

If was fun making some handles, I am not good at it, but practice on garage sale hammers is a good way to start.  Hammer head without a handle isn't very useful.

(01-05-2020, 03:28 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I've been going thru a bunch of garage sale hammers, cleaning them up, rehandleing a few, and purging a few (duplicates) into the garage pile.  What are these called and what is their purpose?  I've done pretty good on the rest, but these have me stumped.  The top one has concentric rings on the face.  I am guessing the bottom one is a cross pein hammer with a different style or unique manufacturer.
The middle one has one round face with a rolled edge, and the other face is rectangular with rounded ends and the face itself is convex (it must be fairly common, I have two)

If was fun making some handles, I am not good at it, but practice on garage sale hammers is a good way to start.  Hammer head without a handle isn't very useful.

Look like autobody hammers.   Roly
Second one looks like an autobody hammer but could be something else specialized.

Middle one some kind of metalworking hammer.

Fourth one looks to me like a hammer used for driving points in installing glass in wooden sash.  The shape would allow you to slide the hammer along the glass, to reduce the chance of breaking the glass.  An example of a similar concept:
[Image: Glazier_Hammer.jpg?v=1477057176]

The last one looks like a cross peen hammer that said, "Ah, to heck with Weight Watchers!  I'm proud of my shape!"

But there's a lot of guessing in my reply.

You might try this over on Papaw's Tool Talk (this place).  There are a lot of folks there with far more knowledge than I'll ever have about the trades that used specialized hammers.
(01-05-2020, 03:28 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I've been going thru a bunch of garage sale hammers, cleaning them up, rehandleing a few, and purging a few (duplicates) into the garage pile.  What are these called and what is their purpose?  I've done pretty good on the rest, but these have me stumped.  The top one has concentric rings on the face.  I am guessing the bottom one is a cross pein hammer with a different style or unique manufacturer.

I believe the top hammer is for shrinking body metal and the bottom one for forge work..others are body metal hammers also from what I can tell.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset