60s-80s vinyl laminating
So this is a bit of an obscure question, but many of you are weird people who know odd things, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I am looking to build a couple variations on the Pachmayr Super Deluxe gun case of the 60s through the mid 80s. These aren't terribly complex, and appear to be made of plywood for the most part, but the exterior is laminated with what looks like some sort of textured black vinyl or leatherette. I've seen it in other things before, such as guitar amps and period briefcases, but I am not 100% certain what it is or how best to apply it. So if any of you know what it is, where I can find something similar these days, or have some experience laminating plywood with vinyl, I'd welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,

[Image: 100493180_18376_4613F14ABA7C7E87.JPG]
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
You can buy the real thing (leather) and do it after a short course in upholstery. With all the work, that upgrade is worth the cost. It's a little more involved than contact cement and tacks. Check out book binding. Maybe, cloth lined vinyl for the first test runs. Good seams are the name of the game. 

I did property investment portfolios years ago. All I remember is the feeling of playing Real Monopoly. We carved up downtown Seattle.

Edit: After looking at a few examples, I'd say they glued leather, or leatherette directly to the plywood base. A seam showed in one interior lid--simple direct contact, edge shave, edge shave the cover piece, and glue down; so the lap is not so lumpy.  You could really turn it into a beauty by lining the leather first, or going a thicker grade.

Try some auto re-upholstery shops; or a friend who works for one.
(01-05-2020, 06:59 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: So this is a bit of an obscure question, but many of you are weird people who know odd things, so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I am looking to build a couple variations on the Pachmayr Super Deluxe gun case of the 60s through the mid 80s.  These aren't terribly complex, and appear to be made of plywood for the most part, but the exterior is laminated with what looks like some sort of textured black vinyl or leatherette.  I've seen it in other things before, such as guitar amps and period briefcases, but I am not 100% certain what it is or how best to apply it.  So if any of you know what it is, where I can find something similar these days, or have some experience laminating plywood with vinyl, I'd welcome your thoughts!

Thanks,

[Image: 100493180_18376_4613F14ABA7C7E87.JPG]

The only thing I can think of would be RFP (reinforced fiberglass panels).They come in many colors including black. I have only seen white panels myself. One side is pimpled and the back is smooth. Often used in commercial kitchens on walls . I have used RFP in 4'x8' size panels.
Easily installed with adhesive.
mike
Are you looking for protection or the vintage look?

https://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-...r--260-108

Link above goes to a "cabinet coating" at Parts Express.  It's designed to be used on speaker cabinets to protect them from the abuse of being hauled around, etc

I've also considered truck bed coatings for similar applications, but haven't done anything yet.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I’ve done speaker cabinets and amps using leatherette vinyl
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-LEATHER-FABRIC-LEATHERETTE-UPHOLSTERY/dp/B0042EPKOG
as well as marine grade more commonly known as “Ottertex”
Polyester Ripstop
https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/collections/ripstop-fabrics/products/polyester-ripstop-pu-coated-fabric?variant=18441015066739
Marine Vinyl
https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/collections/vinyl-fabrics/products/marine-vinyl-fabric?variant=41720837196

The polyester is a bit slippery, but holds up to abuse well.  All require some thought and abundant patience to install.
I plan on making a prototype and a few different models, and then giving away all but the one I like best. Reason being that I have other, better options for transporting more than five pistols at a time, so I really only need one of them. But of the four I plan to build, I do want to try to get one of them as much like the original as possible. The leatherette Nick posted looks fairly close to what I've seen, so I may go that route. But I have plenty of spray-on bedliner as well, so perhaps one of the other boxes will get coated with it. Appreciating all the tips and thoughts so far!
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I believe the product you're looking for is "Tolex".   It has been used for decades for covering the kind of things you're wanting it for.

HERE IS THE LINK to one of many suppliers.   You might also google Tolex.
Tolex is also what sprang to my mind. You can find youtube videos of people using it to cover e.g. guitar cases. Very similar application over plywood base.

The big knock against the old Pachmayr cases is that the tray is set too high for guns with optics. But not an issue if you don't use optics or don't follow the original * too * closely.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Like NickNC I have used Tolex to cover amp heads. This was in an earlier time; you know, garage bands.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I have an old "Gertsner" tool chest that needs some love, I wonder if that is what it was covered in?