Laminate flooring over ceramic tile?
My current kitchen floor is 12x12 ceramic.

We are looking at a waterproof laminate product to replace.

I've been told it can be installed directly over the laminate with a barrier.

True or does it need to be ripped out first?
(01-06-2020, 03:15 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: My current kitchen floor is 12x12 ceramic.

Because I haven't installed laminate flooring over ceramic tile I'll give you my opinion only. 
Should be no problem . Foam made for laminate is about 1/8" thick and is taped to the tile first. Then the laminate.
I lay the sheet foam down, tape it to the floor and laminate until about 2 board widths from edge. Then another sheet of foam and repeat.
Most installers lay the foam down over the entire floor first. When I did this I tend to tear the foam with my knees. Whatever works for you is the best way to do this.
If your tile floor is flat , then go ahead install the flooring.
mike
Sorry to answer your questions with more questions, but....

Do you have the manufacturer's instructions?  With the more well-known brands, the installation instructions are usually complete regarding the substrate.

How smooth is the floor that is in place now?  Uneven grout lines may cause an issue.

If you do put laminate over a hard surface like ceramic tile, it would tend to be noisy when walked on, in my opinion.  You may want a pad between the tile and the laminate flooring to quiet that down.

Floor height increase by adding laminate (and pad, if needed) also needs to be considered.  Does that give you an issue at entry areas or in front of any installed dishwasher?  Don't ask me how I know that.  That wound is barely scarred over... 
Crazy
depends on the tile.  if the tiles are nice and flat it shouldn't be a problem.  With tile that's more uneven (some/all handmade tile), then not so much.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

They  make a laminate underlayment which looks like foam of some sort. 

I think the bigger issue is that the laminate and the underlayment will add about 1/2" in height.  Can you afford to make the floor a half inch higher?  Will doors be an issue?  Will floor height from room to room be an issue?

I have not done this but have thought about it for my kitchen.  Removing all the tiles is a big job.  And you will have to smooth out any high spots left by the grout or thinset.  So going over the tile sounds attractive.  But it will interfer with the back door (steel) and it will make a major deviation in floor height for my application.  So I am resolved to removing the tiles.  (But not looking forward to it.)
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(01-06-2020, 03:15 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: My current kitchen floor is 12x12 ceramic.

The biggest problem is that the floor is relatively flat so when you step down you are not bending it down over a low area or crowning on a high spot. As stated look at the specs for the tile you are looking at.  Also as already said look at the total thickness of the flooring especially at the dishwasher, if possible install under dishwasher.  Roly
As a minimum, I'd probably float leveling compound over the tile. In reality, I'd tear out and start over.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(01-06-2020, 06:07 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: As a minimum,  I'd probably float leveling  compound over the tile.  In reality,  I'd tear out and start over.

I think that is necessary to fill up the grout lines, bit I think you are good otherwise. The problem is stability and tile is very stable. You have to just get it level.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(01-07-2020, 07:50 AM)messmaker Wrote: I think that is necessary to fill up the grout lines, bit I think you are good otherwise. The problem is stability and tile is very stable. You have to just get it level.

Depends of if you are talking vinyl plank or waterproof laminate.  Vinyl plank, I would fill grout lines as they will telegraph through after a while, rigid laminate would not have a problem with normal size grout lines.  It wouldn't hurt anything to fill them.   Roly
Armstrong makes a "rigid core" luxury plank line of vinyl flooring.

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/reside...oring.html

Consider any installation challenges.

If you have a less-than-perfect subfloor, you're smart to consider products with rigid core installation. Thick and sturdy planks come with an attached cork underlayment, making them perfectly suitable for installing over minor subfloor irregularities. Rigid core flooring can also be installed over large areas without transition strips.

However they don't specifically state that you can apply over tile.  I would write to customer service and ask:

https://www.armstrongflooring.com/reside...pport.html
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.