Bookcase tip over hazard?
I'm building a bookcase for a customer. It is 21" wide, 14 1/2 deep and 88" tall and is of solid hickory except for a plywood back. There are 6 fixed shelves spaced at about 13 1/2". The shelves are built specifically to house scrapbooks and the dimensions are specified by the customer. In and of itself, this is a very stable piece, but I'm wondering if because of it's height and the shelves, it shouldn't be anchored to the wall? I'm in Michigan, so earthquakes aren't a problem, but I can see the potential of a young child using it as a ladder...
Interestingly as I write this, I've convinced myself that a wall anchor is the right thing to do
Yes , but I'm curious have any of you run into a similar situation? Do you know of a standard governing such things? Certainly pull out drawers would make a huge difference. Thank you.
(01-07-2020, 01:56 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I can see the potential of a young child using it as a ladder... I'm curious have any of you run into a similar situation? 

I built my Granddaughter a bookcase a few years ago and was similarly concerned.

I bought a length of chain from Home Depot and attached one end to the rear of the bookcase up high - just below the top.  The other end is screwed into a wall stud.  The chain allows the top of the bookcase to tip forward about 3 inches before it gets tight.  That's as tight as I could get it and still access the screw but I think it's fine.  

I don't know if it's a code requirement but it made me feel better.

[Image: 49346951027_9334c8a4cd_c.jpg]
It wouldn't be very difficult to figure out how much it would take to tip the thing over. It only takes getting the center of gravity outside the footprint of the case. That said, anchoring it to the wall is pretty simple and cheap insurance. I'd just do it if there's any concern at all.
Timely question.
Ikea to pay $46 million for death of child in furniture tip-over

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/...-tip-over/

Ikea will pay $46 million to the parents of a 2-year-old child crushed to death by a Malm dresser, a piece of furniture associated with several child deaths from accidental tip-overs, according to a mediated court settlement announced Monday.
Jozef Dudek died in 2017 in Buena Park, Calif., when he climbed on the short bedroom dresser and it fell on top of him. The dresser should never have been in his home. A year earlier, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said it was aware of four children killed by Malm dressers, leading the CPSC and the Swedish furniture retailer Ikea to launch a massive product recall.

About 17.3 million chests and drawers were recalled. Consumers were given the option of a refund or a kit to anchor the furniture to a wall.

But the Dudeks never knew about the recall, and Ikea never contacted them about it, the family’s attorneys said Monday. Product recalls are known to be ineffective. And Ikea took .........................

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I've purchased an IKEA book case and remember it came with wall mounting hardware and directions.  Didn't use it, but now know that's probably the reason why.

Anyhow, yeah 88" x 14" loaded with books sounds like a tip over waiting to happen.  I'd anchor it, no question.

Post some pics when done!
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
Big box stores sell kits for just that reason...certain states (CA comes to mind, even tho you're in Michigan) prone to earthquakes/tremors may have code requirements...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hangman-Furn.../206411011
Thanks all for your replies. To be honest, as soon as I thought maybe I ought to do it, I'd pretty much convinced myself. It is a commission piece, so won't be in my house, but I will buy the anchor and offer to install it for the customer. I was aware of the Ikea law suit. A tragedy, and that sort of thing always makes me wonder where a builder's responsibility ends and personal responsibility begins.
(01-07-2020, 01:56 PM)ed kerns Wrote: I'm building a bookcase for a customer. It is 21" wide, 14 1/2 deep and 88" tall and is of solid hickory except for a plywood back. There are 6 fixed shelves spaced at about 13 1/2". The shelves are built specifically to house scrapbooks and the dimensions are specified by the customer. In and of itself, this is a very stable piece, but I'm wondering if because of it's height and the shelves, it shouldn't be anchored to the wall? I'm in Michigan, so earthquakes aren't a problem, but I can see the potential of a young child using it as a ladder...
Interestingly as I write this, I've convinced myself that a wall anchor is the right thing to do
Yes , but I'm curious have any of you run into a similar situation? Do you know of a standard governing such things? Certainly pull out drawers would make a huge difference. Thank you.

There are two ways to keep the case from tipping. Anchor to the wall and another way is to load a false bottom with some type of weights. I only mention this as this is how commercial file cabinets are done. They use flat steel plates. The practical way is too anchor to the wall.
You can hide the anchors by fastening to the top of the case and wall. 88" high and the only way to see the anchors is with a ladder.
I use steel angle plates and if possible anchor to studs. 
mike
Would a french cleat style attachment work for something like this? I know the base/floor condition might create an offset...
(01-08-2020, 04:44 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Would a french cleat style attachment work for something like this? I know the base/floor condition might create an offset...

It would be more work than necessary.  It might require cutting a relief in the base molding and if the wall is not perfectly plumb it might leave a gap at the bottom of the bookcase where the bottom meets the flooring.

A hook in the wall and one on the top of the case and a short length of  lightweight chain is all that is needed.

As for risk, even dusting the case could cause a problem, or if most of the load is placed on the higher shelves then running the vacuum cleaner hard against the bottom could tip the case. 

It is easier to just add the chain than to worry about tipping over.  And even if you do not have children, visitors might have them.  So the risk remains.

Or you can buy a 46 million dollar umbrella policy and forget about the problem.
Big Grin
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.