Pulsating water from faucet
A month or so ago, the sprayer quit working on a kitchen type faucet (it was on all the time). I clamped the hose shut until I could get a new one. Faucet was working fine.

About a week ago, we noticed the water pulsing (quick burst, making noise).  It does it on both hot and cold, but seems worse when the faucet is wide open and both hot and cold are on.

Thinking the faucet was defective, I installed a new one.

Well, it is still pulsing and banging.  Curiously, removing the aerator eliminates the problem.

We are on city water (pretty high PSI I would estimate 70).  No other faucets are affected, even the one on the opposite wall out off the same pipes.

I'm thinking this might be a pressure imbalance?
I'm wondering is it could be the valves?  They are sweat on copper pipes, so I will have to call a plumber.

Thanks.
(01-11-2020, 09:14 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: A month or so ago, the sprayer quit working on a kitchen type faucet (it was on all the time).  I clamped the hose shut until I could get a new one.  Faucet was working fine.

About a week ago, we noticed the water pulsing (quick burst, making noise).  It does it on both hot and cold, but seems worse when the faucet is wide open and both hot and cold are on.

Thinking the faucet was defective, I installed a new one.

Well, it is still pulsing and banging.  Curiously, removing the aerator eliminates the problem.

We are on city water (pretty high PSI I would estimate 70).  No other faucets are affected, even the one on the opposite wall out off the same pipes.

I'm thinking this might be a pressure imbalance?
I'm wondering is it could be the valves?  They are sweat on copper pipes, so I will have to call a plumber.

Thanks.

Well sounds like the air gap in the plumbing is no longer a gap.  The aerator impedes flow and causes the back and forth action causing the banging.  If it were me I would shut off the main and open all the valves to drain the system.  once drained close valves except furthest from main until water flowed out of it.  Not saying that it is for sure the problem but it is where I would start.  A bad valve would effect which ever supply it controlled not both, doubtful both went bad at the same time.  Also if sweat copper there is a good chance you could cut off and replace with compression fittings depending on what is exposed.  Give Youtube a look
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(01-11-2020, 02:23 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Well sounds like the air gap in the plumbing is no longer a gap.  The aerator impedes flow and causes the back and forth action causing the banging.  If it were me I would shut off the main and open all the valves to drain the system.  once drained close valves except furthest from main until water flowed out of it.  Not saying that it is for sure the problem but it is where I would start.  A bad valve would effect which ever supply it controlled not both, doubtful both went bad at the same time.  Also if sweat copper there is a good chance you could cut off and replace with compression fittings depending on what is exposed.  Give Youtube a look

I would bet on the diverter sense it was bad by keeping the sprayer on.   Sounds like it is bouncing back and forth now.    Look up where the diverter is located on your faucet and clean it or replace it.  Roly
(01-11-2020, 02:23 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Well sounds like the air gap in the plumbing is no longer a gap. 

Wouldn't the other faucet be affected?  Its on the same line on opposite wall.

@Roly - it is a new faucet.

What's curious to me it only does it when the aerator filter on.
(01-13-2020, 09:05 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Wouldn't the other faucet be affected?  Its on the same line on opposite wall.

@Roly - it is a new faucet.

What's curious to me it only does it when the aerator filter on.

Since it is new call the faucet company's customer service,  they can advise and most brand name ones furnish the parts free.  Roly
I would remove aerator and remove the flow restrictor, not much to lose and may solve the problem.