Grizzly 20" planer--any experiences?
(01-21-2020, 05:02 PM)Tapper Wrote: How about a detailed definition of "cheaper",  i.e. how is it manifested?

Doug

Grizz specs the motors and switches. They get inferior motors so they can save money but in return you get a less expensive product. You also get a motor that won't last as long as a better motor. Check the price of a new motor and you will wish you had of bought a different brand up front. Lots of posts about motor and bearing failure on the Grizz stuff.
(01-23-2020, 09:35 AM)Troubleshooter Wrote: Grizz specs the motors and switches. They get inferior motors so they can save money but in return you get a less expensive product. You also get a motor that won't last as long as a better motor. Check the price of a new motor and you will wish you had of bought a different brand up front. Lots of posts about motor and bearing failure on the Grizz stuff.

As mentioned earlier, I have a Shop Fox 8" jointer and a 15" planer, i.e. both Grizzly products. After many hours of usage with both I've had zero motor or switch problems. My opinion is that you would have to do a side-by-side comparison of the two, "apples to apples" to evaluate failure rates. I've seen no threads on this forum about a problem with Grizzly products having defective motors or switches - YMMV.

Doug