Greene and Greene Wall Cabinet
There seemed to be some G&G fans here from my dresser thread so I thought I would toss another one out there.  Actually I should be spraying the weeds out at the back of the property but, I'm retired and I just don't feel like it
Big Grin .

This wall cabinet came into being when a media cabinet (in a different style) failed to hold all of my CD's.  You remember, those round shiny things that music used to come on.  I needed just a bit more room for CD's and something to keep me out from under foot so I went after this.

I have a sort of sled for my router table that I use for sliding dovetails.

I use a tenoning jig for the pin portion.  My router table and my tablesaw have miter slots the same distance from the cutter.  This lets me use the same jigs on either with little setup.

This forms the sides to top joinery for this cabinet.  It hangs from two keyhole position on the sides and does not hang from the top.
I use the tablesaw to cut the top in preparation for the stair-stepping element.

And I get this.

The bottom gets a similar treatment.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

This is a wide shallow rabbet joint I use on my G&G stuff for the frame to side joinery

Depending on the scale the front will get glue to maintain the profile throughout the seasons while the rear will be allowed to expand and contract.  On this small piece I use a washer head screw in a slot at the rear

This is how I let in the keyhole hardware.  One on each side member about 3" from the top IIRC.

This just shows the fingers off the machine and after some hand work.

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I mill some beadwork onto some thin panels to make up the back.

I clamp the panels together and raise the top edges.  The chalk is a witness mark to let me know when I am getting close.

I raise the left and right outside edges as well.

That gets me this look.  This is against the wall but, I'm like that ;-)

I use bridle joints at the door frame's corners.  These are my go-to door frame joint.

I cut a rabbet in the back of the door to accept a glass panel.  The rounded corners are chiseled square.

The decorative portions of the door are fine tuned for fit on the shooting board.

This is the door look I am after.

This is a shot of the typical exagerrated fingers and ebony plugs of the Greene and Greene style.

I do some pre-finishing on many pieces.  Any time it will make things easier during the final finishing process  I do not hesitate to do this.

Here is the roughed out blank for the pull and a shot of it mostly shaped.  It is a sapele saddle with a cocobolo pull.

I use strips of masonite as spacers to install the back panels.

They are tacked top and bottom to allow for movement.

Here is the pull installed.

And the finished piece.

The finish is an oil/varnish blend with no colorants.

That is some beautiful work.
I believe you've got the G & G style down...

Well done!
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
You have certainly done justice to the G&G style with your work, an absolutely fantastic piece!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Beautiful work!! Thanks for sharing your methods as well.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
G&G is my favorite and I wish I had your skills to make nice stuff.  That pull looks like Bacote more then Cocobolo.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-18-2020, 10:48 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: G&G is my favorite and I wish I had your skills to make nice stuff.  That pull looks like Bacote more then Cocobolo.

By George, you're right.  It is bacote.  Thanks for the catch.  Somewhere along the line I started calling it cocobolo.  Ah, it is a sign of me entering my declining-years
Big Grin

As to skills, I have loved G&G since college.  A chance encounter and conversation with Darrell Peart at some get together or another left me feeling I might just be able to make some of the things I had rattling around in my head.  Darrell is a very open and sharing individual.  He even responded to email questions during my first build.  Check out his books.  You may be surprised at what it inspires in you. 

I have never taken one of Darrell's classes but, from my interactions I would expect him to be a patient and excellent teacher.  If you can swing it, I would take a class in a heartbeat.  I wish he would have been giving them back in the day.