Random Tip #1
I don't see that we have a "tips" sub-forum here.  If there is a better place for these, just shout it out and I'll post them there.

Woodworkers as a breed are a clever bunch of folks.  I get all sorts of good ideas from people's threads and posts.  Not only from the postings themselves but, often from what I see in the background of a picture or what goes mentioned in passing while talking about something else.  This is just a random tip.  Probably not original.  I share these things in case someone might benefit the way I have.

French's Mustard caps fit Titebond botttles.

Attached Files Image(s)

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

How does it work in the long run? I use cheap ketchup bottles from Amazon and they work amazingly well. The tip never clogs up like the ones on the smaller bottles of titebond.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

(01-19-2020, 02:33 PM)paarker Wrote: How does it work in the long run? I use cheap ketchup bottles from Amazon and they work amazingly well. The tip never clogs up like the ones on the smaller bottles of titebond.

Seems to do OK.  The little tip in the cap snaps into the hole in the lid and keeps it clear.  That being said, I'm a hard core Glu-bot guy myself.
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I'm like paarker and use the cheep condiment bottles from Wallyworld, but I like your idea of passing along tips that fly under the RADAR. I've been making my living as a cabinetmaker for a long time now but, sometimes it takes a new set of eyes to the trade to see it from a new perspective.
It's not always the quiet ones who don't have much to say.
(01-19-2020, 03:20 PM)GeeDub Wrote: Seems to do OK.  The little tip in the cap snaps into the hole in the lid and keeps it clear.  That being said, I'm a hard core Glu-bot guy myself.

I bought a Glubot last summer on an impulse; have to say that I'm not crazy about it.  At first, I thought it was good to be able to meter out the flow, but it became cumbersome on long edge-gluing applications.  Right now it's sitting empty in my cabinet.  I'm back to my Titebond bottles.

We do have a bottle of French's in the fridge.  Maybe I'll give it a try.  It's full, so I'll get on those hot dogs and polish sausages right away...  
Laugh
Another thing you can do is put the regular lid on the gallon container if you have a big glue up like laminating plywood or something. Of course you could just pour it out, but I prefer the control of the spout. I just did a job like this, but I stuck with the smaller container so I'd be able to leverage more squeezing force. But who knows, maybe y'all have bigger hands.

[Image: WsReam2.jpg]
What if you don't like mustard? Is there a grey market for them?
Benny

(01-29-2020, 09:53 AM)bennybmn Wrote: What if you don't like mustard? Is there a grey market for them?

A Grey Poupon market?

Seriously though, I've experimented with different bottles for glue. In general, I get feel as if I better results with the manufacturer's bottles. Mostly because of the tip design. If I take the time to keep the Titebond tip clean, it works great. Underlined for emphasis because I'll forget that bit and cuss out the bottle later. 

I like the Titebond tip design better because I can turn it wide to the joint and lay down a "wide stripe" or narrow and do a thin bead. Other tips that are just round produce only beads.

If I need to cover a large area, I'll just take off the lid and pour out. Then scrape or roll or use an old toothbrush to spread.

Always though the Glubot was a solution in search of a problem with its multiple tips and other fiddly things you can loose.

*** edit to add how I clean the glue bottle cap/tip thingies ***
Remove cap and disassembled tip if possible. Sometimes you've buggered it and the outer sheath of the tip won't come off. It will later...
Use an old coffee cup, drop in the caps & tips. Usually I only have one that I've forgotten to clean well so this is fine. Add a splash of white vinegar then top off with water. Put the whole mess in the microwave and run long enough to just barely start a boil. Remove and let cool until you can handle the parts. At this point the dried glue in the threads and tip devices will come right out. Rinse clean and put it all back together and try to remember to keep it clean next time. Otherwise, repeat in a week or so...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Good tips.
Big Grin 

On the subject of glu-bot. Been many years now, but purchased one thinking it was the cats meow.
After putting up with the tip/spout stopping up for several months, it eventually went into file 13.

Maybe they are improved now??
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-29-2020, 11:43 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Good tips.
Big Grin 

On the subject of glu-bot. Been many years now, but purchased one thinking it was the cats meow.
After putting up with the tip/spout stopping up for several months, it eventually went into file 13.

Maybe they are improved now??

Nope
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin