Thin wood, best way to fasten question

To a basic toy truck design I’ve added a pickup truck type body made out of 1/8 inch thick pine. The body is 2.5 inches wide by 4.5 inches long with 3/4” high sideboards. I’ve glued the sideboards to the “truckbed”. Realizing this truck will be used by a youngster what if anything can be done to strengthen the attachments?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
If my youngest grandson is any indication, gluing the truck to a 12" cinder block might help.
Big Grin
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(01-26-2020, 08:28 PM)cputnam Wrote: If my youngest grandson is any indication, gluing the truck to a 12" cinder block might help.  
Big Grin

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh   But the truth. Remember our grandsons.
Jim

There is a good chance
Assume anything handed to a small child will eventually get used as a weapon. Probably a projectile one. With that in mind, I'd probably round over those sharp 90 degree corners on the rear of the truck bed. Otherwise, a very cool toy that will no doubt be cherished and passed on, if it survives. (Father of a good natured but magically destructive boy).
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
Get some bamboo skewers. Drill across the joints and pin with the bamboo. Even with 1/8 thick stock this will add a lot of strength.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(01-26-2020, 10:49 PM)handi Wrote: Get some bamboo skewers. Drill across the joints and pin with the bamboo. Even with 1/8 thick stock this will add a lot of strength.

What he said, but for very thin wood, I keep a box of Quality toothpicks in the shop, cut off the tip, and use them as the mini dowel. Once the glue dries, flush cut and sand.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Thanks Ralph and Jim. I had thought of very small triangle posts glued into the corners but the skewers/toothpick idea is what I’ll try. I still expect the sides won’t last long but then one never knows.
Jim

There is a good chance
only other solution i can think of is make it out of metal. ive seen a few tonka trucks survive the ravages of jobsite temper tantrums.
(01-27-2020, 02:33 AM)stoppy Wrote: Thanks Ralph and Jim. I had thought of very small triangle posts glued into the corners but the skewers/toothpick idea is what I’ll try. I still expect the sides won’t last long but then one never knows.

I think corners reinforced with triangular chamfers would be good as well...
(01-26-2020, 10:56 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: What he said, but for very thin wood, I keep a box of Quality toothpicks in the shop, cut off the tip, and use them as the mini dowel. Once the glue dries, flush cut and sand.

+1

(01-27-2020, 08:04 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I think corners reinforced with triangular chamfers would be good as well...

Yes, both ideas would be good
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020