Milwaukee Fuel: wow!
I'm not typically a "write a review" guy, but here it is.  I had a Makita impact and drill (12 and 18) many years, pretty good.  Son went to college and so did those two.

So after much mulling, a Milwaukee M18 fuel drill and a M12 hydraulic impact filled their place.  I couldn't be happier.  I've used them both now for about 6 months, and they just go and go and go.

This weekend was the baseball leagues "fix the field" saturday, and as you can imagine every color of power tool showed up.  Drilling, driving were the order of the day for my team.

In this setting, the superiority over green, white, orange, and blue really stood out.  Ergonomics, battery life, chuck holding:  the milwaukee just performed and performed and performed.  Especially in battery life.

That's it, and that's all.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I have a couple of friends with M18 fuel drill & driver--both say similar. When my current set finally runs out of battery (probably 7 or 8 years old now), I'll give the M18 a try.
You mention that your old and new sets are 12v driver and 18v drill (at least that's how i read it)--curious as to why you choose 2 different battery platforms. Thanks!!
earl
Welcome to the modern cordless tool world.  
Laugh

Ed
(01-26-2020, 08:09 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: I have a couple of friends with M18 fuel drill & driver--both say similar.  When my current set finally runs out of battery (probably 7 or 8 years old now), I'll give the M18 a try.  
You mention that your old and new sets are 12v driver and 18v drill (at least that's how i read it)--curious as to why you choose 2 different battery platforms.  Thanks!!
earl

I wasn't asked but I imagine it has to do with the size of the tool.  I have the 18   and 12 both work great but I find myself reaching for the 12 more often because of size and how it feels in my hand.  The 18  definately has a time and place but with the improved 12 I am finding that it gets most of what I need done.  I have several different M12 tools none have failed.  My M18 Sawzall crapped out and I had a problem with the warranty still not happy about that.  I have a Dewalt cordless sawzall that gets things done.  If I need a lot of power I have a corded Milwaukee
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Thanks Bob--that was my guess. For most of what i do, 12 volt would be plenty--but i've gotten spoiled by using a cordless reciprocating saw for cutting out mulberry trees that grow to 2" diameter in a single day!!
earl
I started converting over to Milwaukee M12 series this past year.  I didn't go with the FUEL line, but the standard, primarily due to cost.

I'm a home/hobbyist user, and I had Makita 10.8V drill/impact driver set that I bought 10+ years ago at a woodworking show.  I really beat the tar out of those two machines.  I used them to remodel our home, build a gate arbor, built a large pergola, drywall the shop building, and every little lesser task.  I bought after-market batteries that were presumably Makita-branded, but they failed within a few weeks.  That prompted me to begin looking for new tools.

I switched to Milwaukee because of the tool selection.  I want common batteries.  So far, the Milwaukee set is doing great.  I added an oscillating multi-tool, and it has become my go-to for that purpose.  So far, the Milwaukee set has completed an interior facelift update at our church along with regular shop-duty use.  My next tool will be a 12V circular saw for breaking down sheet goods.

I like the smaller tools that come with the 12V line.  I've found that when working a task that requires a lot of tool use, the lighter weight of the lesser-voltage tools can be a real plus by not taxing my physical strength all day long. 

Since I'm a hobbyist and my livelihood doesn't depend on my power tools, the minor performance loss is usually not an issue.  I do have an 18V Hitachi drill that I bought reconditioned about 15 years ago.  If it ever dies, I might expand into the Milwaukee 18V tools.  Sometimes, I just need the added power that 18V brings to the task.
I'm sure the Fuel line is a noticeable step up over the M18 line of Milwaukee tools, but I've had great performance out of the ones I have from that group and see no need to upgrade. Even the 3 ah batteries I have last a long time in the drill and driver; only the 6 - 1/2" circular saw drains the battery more quickly than I would like.   The M18 line is a real bargain now that they came out with the Fuel line.  The 1/4" impact driver is an absolute monster.  I drove 8" lag screws with it into PT beams when building my deck.  Amazing performance. 

I was pleased to see you said the chuck on the drill holds well.  If I have one complaint it's that the chuck will loose it's grip on the drill bit as you cycle the drill off a few times.  The tool slows down so quickly that the mass of the chuck unlocks itself as it decelerates.  Very annoying.  

As others have said, for most things in the shop I reach first for the 12V Hitachi drill and driver.  So much lighter and easier to use, but still adequate power for most things.  

John
Heard great things about the 1/2" and 3/4" Milwaukee impacts. Class leading.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Started out buying two M18 drill sets and have never let looked back.  Great performers and in the last three years have added oscillator, 4" grinder, chainsaw, trimmer, both small and large blower,  trimmer with the added edger and chainsaw trimmer and much more.  I buy my tools when on-sale, some really great sales at a hardware store near my home.  These are the very best tools ever!!!   Many of my Milwaukee tools are also the smaller 12 volt system and the lighter tool system is very handy.  

In regards to Ergonomics,  only a 4 out of 5 rating, some designs certainly need improvement. All-in-all, I am a Milwaukee fan.