How do you sharpen a 1/8 or 3/16 bandsaw blade?
On my wider blades I sharpen them on the machine using the Dremel with a cylindrical stone. How do you sharpen the real narrow blades with the higher TPI? Just touch up the point?
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(01-27-2020, 10:53 PM)stoppy Wrote: On my wider blades I sharpen them on the machine using the Dremel with a cylindrical stone. How do you sharpen the real narrow blades with the higher TPI? Just touch up the point?

Needle files, Jim...just the points
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-27-2020, 10:59 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .........................
Needle files, Jim...just the points
Winkgrin

Jack, 
On or off the machine?
Jim

There is a good chance
(01-27-2020, 11:05 PM)stoppy Wrote: Jack, 
On or off the machine?

Jim, I would try it on the machine..Make sure you have enough tension on the blade. Raise the guide all the way up...You may find that the blade will " chatter".. AKA "vibrate" somewhat but you can "back up the blade" with the other hand as you file, to reduce that tendency..Try to use the same number of strokes on each tooth, and file just until you have removed the shiny spot on the tip of each dull point..A three sq file would be my first choice but a small "half round" file could probably work since you will be just retouching the tips...A cheap Chinese diamond file may also work. If you have mastered using the Dremel method, you should have no trouble using the file..
Winkgrin

EDIT...You can buy a three sq. India stone and that should work fine if you intend to keep making toys..They may cost more than cheap needle files but will last much longer and probable do a nicer job...I have several in my tool chest and they are also available in Arkansas three sq. hones.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I intend on making the toys. Like the idea of doing it on the machine. What about diamond paddles like I use on the Forstner bits?
Jim

There is a good chance
(01-27-2020, 10:53 PM)stoppy Wrote: On my wider blades I sharpen them on the machine using the Dremel with a cylindrical stone. How do you sharpen the real narrow blades with the higher TPI? Just touch up the point?

I have sharpened quite a few band saw blades but none that have more than 3 TPI. I also use a Dremel and the chain saw stones. Personally I would throw out small blades rather then try to sharpen them. If you use a lot of 3/16" blades, buy coil stock and hard solder them.
I did this with 1-1/2 TPI and 3TPI blades for my 16" band saw. I get 7 blades out of each 100'-0" coil. Quite a savings over separate blades.
mike
I have sharpened more bandsaw blades than I can remember, and would do none of the above.

I use a Dremel with a small diamond disk (cheap on eBay) to literally "touch" the back of the tooth - never the gullet! All tou are doing is removing the wear bevel.

The blade remains on the bandsaw, turn to each tooth, keep the angle constant ...

[Image: Bandsaw-sharpening-zpshsfsnsi9.jpg]

There are several videos on YouTube.

Here's the method used with a jig (I do it freehand) ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(01-28-2020, 01:18 AM)stoppy Wrote: I intend on making the toys. Like the idea of doing it on the machine. What about diamond paddles like I use on the Forstner bits?

They will work also if they will fit between the teeth...a 1/8" blade is going to have very fine teeth so using a disc and a Dremel may not be able to do the job because of the thickness of the disc. You can ruin the small blade instantly if you make the slightest mistake with a power tool..Whatever method you use is going to be tedious because of the size and the number of teeth. I don't know how good your sight is but I have to wear an Opti-Visor when I have to do close work like that...I really don't think I would have the patience to sharpen a small fine-tooth blade like that anymore...but more power to you if you do....
Winkgrin
Laugh

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have the Dremel and the disks. Will check to see if it will work on the 1/8 inch blade.
Jim

There is a good chance
I bought this and sharpen all my blades with them and carve in some river rock with them to and they do very well.

Started with these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30Pcs-Diamond-B...Sw87JcJDcq

Now I buy 3 at a time
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.