Toy report
Another source for wood for smaller projects is shipping crates. My local John Deere dealer puts out a sign "Free Wood" when their pile gets big. Another factory just puts their used packing wood outside of their fence by the road. In short lengths it is as good as what Manard's calls #1.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(02-02-2020, 04:23 PM)Foggy Wrote: Another source for wood for smaller projects is shipping crates. My local John Deere dealer puts out a sign "Free Wood" when their pile gets big. Another factory just puts their used packing wood outside of their fence by the road. In short lengths it is as good as what Manard's calls #1.

Look for granite distributors as well.  I have gotten some interesting looking woods from them.
Hey everybody, thanks for all the wood source ideas.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(02-04-2020, 07:56 AM)stoppy Wrote: Hey everybody, thanks for all the wood source ideas.

A friend used to work for a mill.  The cut timber homes.  Their cutoff bin yielded beautiful shorts, sometimes three to four feet long.  If you let them know the intended use, and SHOW them a few pics (for credibility) you might be surprised what you drive away with. 
Yes I make boxes for the widows / families of vets, I got some very nice wood for the same thing I charged for the boxes.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.