No Adapter For Shopsmith to MT2?
I have an old model Shopsmith Mark V and I am looking to start doing some wood turning with it. I don't have the drive center that goes with it, but I have found that the specific one that goes with the Shopsmith isn't a standard MT2 type. It's a unique, one of a kind, spur drive with a 5/8" female arbor on the other end. Has no one ever made an adapter that would attach to the 5/8" arbor of the Shopsmith and allow the use of standardized MT2 centers?
Derek Tombrello
www.RobotsAndComputers.com
A pic would help.
With a ShopSmith you get what you get. An adapter would add too much length to the spindle and add vibration
If it don't hold soup, it's ART!!

Dry Creek Woodturning

(02-01-2020, 01:57 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: With a ShopSmith you get what you get. An adapter would add too much length to the spindle and add vibration

Yep.   Remember the MT2 requires a little  over 2 1/2" minimum inside the adapter plus what the mt2 center extends out from that.   Roly
Mt2 live center goes in talistock plate of mark v.

Drive center is 5/8 to fit headstock.

Not sure what you are asking about.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

You can buy new spur drives from Shopsmith. You can also buy an insert-style chuck along with a 5/8" straight bore insert. When my Shopsmith was my only lathe, I used both.

If you don't already have them, faceplates that fit the Shopsmith are available from Shopsmith and others.

I have even used the Shopsmith drill chuck with a lag screw in it (saw the head off first) as a woodworm screw chuck.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(02-01-2020, 01:57 PM)AnthonyYak Wrote: With a ShopSmith you get what you get. An adapter would add too much length to the spindle and add vibration

With the work piece pressed between both ends, why would there be added vibration?

(02-02-2020, 11:15 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Mt2 live center goes in talistock plate of mark v.

Drive center is 5/8 to fit headstock.

Not sure what you are asking about.

I understand that. I would like to be able to use drive centers other than the one specialized to the Shopsmith. I was asking if there is an adapter that would adapt standard MT2 drive centers to the 5/8" shaft of a Shopsmith.

(02-03-2020, 08:14 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: You can buy new spur drives from Shopsmith. You can also buy an insert-style chuck along with a 5/8" straight bore insert.  When my Shopsmith was my only lathe, I used both.

If you don't already have them, faceplates that fit the Shopsmith are available from Shopsmith and others.

I have even used the Shopsmith drill chuck with a lag screw in it (saw the head off first) as a woodworm screw chuck.

The only thing I have right now is the live center and endplate. I may have the drill chuck - I need to check. I didn't think about that. Thanks.

TO ALL >>>> Sorry for the delay in replying,..I never get emails when forums are replied to.
Derek Tombrello
(02-04-2020, 09:46 PM)rebeltaz Wrote: With the work piece pressed between both ends, why would there be added vibration?

I understand that. I would like to be able to use drive centers other than the one specialized to the Shopsmith. I was asking if there is an adapter that would adapt standard MT2 drive centers to the 5/8" shaft of a Shopsmith.

The only thing I have right now is the live center and endplate. I may have the drill chuck - I need to check. I didn't think about that. Thanks.

TO ALL >>>> Sorry for the delay in replying,..I never get emails when forums are replied to.

There is always a little run-out in spinning shafts. Usually, that is very small for well-made and well-maintained machinery. The more that you extend a shaft, though, the more that run-out is amplified. That shows up as vibration and in added flex in the position of what you are turning.

I have seen lots of adapters for 5/8" smooth shafts (Shopsmith is not the only company who uses/used that shaft type). I have never heard of one to adapt it to a MT2. They can certainly be made. I have just never heard of one. Other than a multi-spur drive, I am having trouble thinking of why I would want one. I would be a bit concerned about the impact of adding the mass of an MT2 adapter on the maintenance schedule for the power head.

I suspect that one of the smaller Nova chucks with a SS insert would probably cost no more than the adapter that you are asking about (if you found a machinist to make you one).

What are you wanting to use in an MT2 drive? We might have some ideas to help you do it another way.

Also, in case you are new to SS's, please do not forget to do you maintenance on the powerhead. If you are not using the DVR version, that maintenance (including cleaning and lubing) is very important (and the timing always seems to sneak up on me).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(02-01-2020, 02:15 AM)rebeltaz Wrote: I have an old model Shopsmith Mark V and I am looking to start doing some wood turning with it.

You have a modern one. Mine is a model 10ER, made in 1953. Both of them make a good starter lathes. Being underpowered, you have to learn good tool control and have sharp tools to get good cuts rather than rely on brute power to bull your way through.

Something to consider: the drill chuck directly fits the drive spindle but also fits into the tailstock with a 5/8" straight to a #2 Morse taper tailstock adapter (Shopsmith #505603). Any tooling you get to fit the drive spindle can go into the MT2 headstock of your next lathe. You will not waste any money by getting faceplates, spur drives, or screw drives that first fit the Shopsmith.

I commonly use both the big sanding disk and the drill chuck with 5/8" straight shafts on my Newer Nova Galaxi.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(02-04-2020, 10:22 PM)iclark Wrote: What are you wanting to use in an MT2 drive? We might have some ideas to help you do it another way.

Also, in case you are new to SS's, please do not forget to do you maintenance on the powerhead. If you are not using the DVR version, that maintenance (including cleaning and lubing) is very important (and the timing always seems to sneak up on me).

Not really looking for anything specific, it just seemed to me that the MT2 drives offered more options than being locked to a proprietary accessory. I think, in my mind, that's it. I've never liked being locked into one manufacturer's components.

Not sure what the DVR version is but mine is an older 500 model.

(02-04-2020, 10:54 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: You have a modern one.  Mine is a model 10ER, made in 1953.  Both of them make a good starter lathes.  Being underpowered, you have to learn good tool control and have sharp tools to get good cuts rather than rely on brute power to bull your way through.

Something to consider: the drill chuck directly fits the drive spindle but also fits into the tailstock with a 5/8" straight to a #2 Morse taper tailstock adapter (Shopsmith #505603).  Any tooling you get to fit the drive spindle can go into the MT2 headstock of your next lathe.  You will not waste any money by getting faceplates, spur drives, or screw drives that first fit the Shopsmith.

I commonly use both the big sanding disk and the drill chuck with 5/8" straight shafts on my Newer Nova Galaxi.

Modern... lol... and I thought my older 500 model Mark V was old :
Smile  Thank you for that advice.
Derek Tombrello