New 15" planer -trying to decide
I am selling some extra tools and would like to get a spiral or helical head 15" or so planer, 2000.00 is about my limit budget wise.
I am just a hobby/weekend warrior with plans to leave my current job in 3-4 years to pursue my hobbies and generate enough income to cover living expenses.
Right now the Grizzly G0891 and the G0453Z have my interest.
Fixed table, helical, spiral, weight(the G0453Z is about 300 pounds heavier), built in base are options between the two.
Looking for suggestions on the Grizzlies or another manufacturer and if any of the choices will make a big difference.
Take a look at the Jet 15-inch HH planer. They're currently 10% off. I've had one for the past 5 years and love it. It's so much quieter than my bench top and has so much more capacity. Yeah, it's a lot of planer for just a hobbiest like me but having a nice planer makes cleaning up boards so much easier.

BTW, don't forget a good dust collection system. Those things put out a lot of wood chips fast!
(02-01-2020, 12:22 PM)dejongs Wrote: I am selling some extra tools and would like to get a spiral or helical head 15" or so planer, 2000.00 is about my limit budget wise.
I am just a hobby/weekend warrior with plans to leave my current job in 3-4 years to pursue my hobbies and generate enough income to cover living expenses.
Right now the Grizzly G0891 and the G0453Z have my interest.
Fixed table, helical, spiral, weight(the G0453Z is about 300 pounds heavier), built in base are options between the two.
Looking for suggestions on the Grizzlies or another manufacturer and if any of the choices will make a big difference.

No input on which planer to buy, but if you plan to cover living expenses from woodworking after you retire you aren't going to really retire.  I worked at it pretty hard when I first retired and would have starved had I had to live off what I made.  Fortunately I didn't.  I wish you well - and hope you don't actually need the money to live on.  A hobby that becomes a job is just another job, with deadlines and taxes but no benefits.  

John
Well this followed me home today. Showed up on Facebook Marketplace, 1900.00

That must be a 20" planer???
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-01-2020, 10:05 PM)jteneyck Wrote: No input on which planer to buy, but if you plan to cover living expenses from woodworking after you retire you aren't going to really retire.  I worked at it pretty hard when I first retired and would have starved had I had to live off what I made.  Fortunately I didn't.  I wish you well - and hope you don't actually need the money to live on.  A hobby that becomes a job is just another job, with deadlines and taxes but no benefits.  

John
I have to second John's comments regarding living off woodworking.  Unless you can build up a name for yourself and a clientele list that will support it, you'll eat a lot of hotdogs and crow when all is said and done.  Better to have something to live off of and use woodworking as a 2d income IMO.  I've done furniture building and restoration on the side for almost the last 30 years and though it paid OK, it sure wasn't enough to live off of once I retired.  The other thing to remember, unless you have a steady customer, income will be typically hit or miss, some months good and many not.

My 2 cents.
Better you than me...I had an opportunity to pick one up at a very advantageous price, but the handling/tranportation and the location of my basement shop made it unfeasible...for me...I ended up with a 450 lb 15" Grizzly that was one heckuvan ordeal, but fully worthwhile. I hope the next homeowner will be comfortable with it in its final resting place in my basement...
Best wishes with it...it's a beast...
(02-03-2020, 02:48 PM)fredhargis Wrote: That must be a 20" planer???

15" with Helical Head
(02-03-2020, 03:05 PM)hcbph Wrote: I have to second John's comments regarding living off woodworking.  Unless you can build up a name for yourself and a clientele list that will support it, you'll eat a lot of hotdogs and crow when all is said and done.  Better to have something to live off of and use woodworking as a 2d income IMO.  I've done furniture building and restoration on the side for almost the last 30 years and though it paid OK, it sure wasn't enough to live off of once I retired.  The other thing to remember, unless you have a steady customer, income will be typically hit or miss, some months good and many not.

My 2 cents.

Not planning on woodworking for income. 
Thinking of getting a general contractors license to work small jobs the big contractors don't want to deal with.
Nice You will like that planer