New 15" planer -trying to decide
Can't believe how quiet this planer is.
This is going to be nice.
(02-01-2020, 12:22 PM)dejongs Wrote: I am selling some extra tools and would like to get a spiral or helical head 15" or so planer, 2000.00 is about my limit budget wise.
I am just a hobby/weekend warrior with plans to leave my current job in 3-4 years to pursue my hobbies and generate enough income to cover living expenses.
Right now the Grizzly G0891 and the G0453Z have my interest.
Fixed table, helical, spiral, weight(the G0453Z is about 300 pounds heavier), built in base are options between the two.
Looking for suggestions on the Grizzlies or another manufacturer and if any of the choices will make a big difference.

I was looking at the HH15 Grizzlies too. One is from China and the other Taiwan. Ended up choosing the China version due to larger cutter height (8" vs 6" or so).

Get the manual from the base area first and all of the other boxes while you are at it.

The freight guy dropped it at the bottom of my driveway. Had to assemble the roller base and needed help to move it off the plywood panel it was bolted to that is on a pallet. Attaching the extended CI tables took me a while to get perfect. Have used it and am pleased so far. Noticed the two speeds and didn't change the setting. Got a little rough from the first pass, but cleared up after the second. Maybe I should re-read the manual on how to use the 2 speeds?

My trash guys wouldn't take the low-grade plywood box or the pallet the planer came in. Used a circ saw to cut in small pieces and several trash pickups to get rid of.
WoodTinker
Be sure to check the manual on changing gears...on most of them you only want to shift while the planer is running.....and not doing that can cause problems. Truthfully, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I changed speeds on mine. It just sets on the slower speed most of the time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-04-2020, 12:26 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Be sure to check the manual on changing gears...on most of them you only want to shift while the planer is running.....and not doing that can cause problems. Truthfully, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I changed speeds on mine. It just sets on the slower speed most of the time.

Make the speed change when the planer is running. Sticker right by the lever.