1/8" Chisel
(02-09-2020, 06:12 PM)wmickley Wrote: The trouble is that craftsmanship waned during the 19th century and for most of the 20th century. So tools were often developed for lesser craftsmen. Unless the tool maker understands how a tool is supposed to work, things are likely to go downhill. 

One example where tools improved is measuring: rules dividers and such seemingly improved over the 19th century. And chisels may have improved because in the 18th century they had trouble welding their best steel (so-called cast steel) to wrought iron. Chisels from the 1830s are very nice, maybe better than the 1790s. 

Today's plane makers are often hampered by ignorance of 18th century technology.
Today's plane makers are often hampered by ignorance of 18th century technology.

Yes ......I could not agree more !!!!!!...and that 18th century technology went well beyond woodworking and tools of that trade...lots of it was kept secret as much as possible...to reduce competition.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

You're paying somebody to teach you dovetails (which is fine). Give them the benefit of the doubt and get an eighth inch chisel. I have one that came with a vintage Marples set of firmers. I love the little ba$tard for all sorts of things. And it will get into very tight spaces.