Skunk Repellant
I know it is still winter here in the northeast but this winter has been so warm it has not detered the skunks. I went through a horrid summer last year with a battle of skunks in my yard. They tore up my lawn and every time I tried to regrow grass they were at it again. Caught 5 skunks and trapped them but do not want to do this again this year. So before the onslaught of these animals again is there any prep work to be done and is there any repellants out there that will keep them away?? I put down bug control at beginning of June. So grubs and bugs should be under control. Have seen no signs of them but evidently the skunks do. So looking for suggestions and no not allowed to have firearms in NJ.
John T.
(02-14-2020, 12:30 AM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: I know it is still winter here in the northeast but this winter has been so warm it has not detered the skunks. I went through a horrid summer last year with a battle of skunks in my yard. They tore up my lawn and every time I tried to regrow grass they were at it again. Caught 5 skunks and trapped them but do not want to do this again this year. So before the onslaught of these animals again is there any prep work to be done and is there any repellants out there that will keep them away?? I put down bug control at beginning of June. So grubs and bugs should be under control. Have seen no signs of them but evidently the skunks do. So looking for suggestions and no not allowed to have firearms in NJ.

Are 22 cal air rifles illegal there too?  I can use up to 50 cal air rifle here nothing required to purchase
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Get rid of the grubs and you get rid of the skunks
NJ is brutal on guns of any kind...I believe there was an actor arrested while rehearsing for a part while having an AirSoft gun in his possession without a permit a few years ago!
(02-14-2020, 01:51 AM)Bob10 Wrote: Are 22 cal air rifles illegal there too?  I can use up to 50 cal air rifle here nothing required to purchase

NJ law's definition of a "firearm" includes air rifles, whether pellet or BBs.  You need what is called a "Firearms Purchaser ID" to buy one (and likely possess, although this is a gray area).  Very strict.  And if the pellet or BB gun happens to be a handgun, and you don't have a handgun permit (just to buy it, not to carry, CC permits are impossible to get), you will do time for illegal possession of a handgun.  Lots of rules around possession and transport, and they must be taken seriously because of the horrendous consequences.  Folks from out of state get caught up in this all the time; especially at airports.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Smile 
All of the answers above about NJ gun laws are true. Paintball guns are illegal over a certain cartridge I do not remember which but you would have to stand next to the person to hit them. So no guns. Have to go after this with chemicals. Chemical warfare 
Smile Boy this thread probably is being circled and red flag went up.
John T.
Best solution.... Move. Will solve numerous issues at the same time.
(02-14-2020, 05:01 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Best solution.... Move. Will solve numerous issues at the same time.

Well, sure, but family ties, etc. make that hard.  i've learned to live with the laws, and have deep relationships here that don't overcome my concern for 2ndA rights. But that's just life, its all a compromise.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-14-2020, 05:01 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Best solution.... Move. Will solve numerous issues at the same time.

Not sure where that point was directed. If it is at owning firearms. I have NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! interest in owning firearms of any kind. If it is because of skunk population, I lived here 40 years and last year was the first year I had that problem. So no moving is in site and in fact a new roof and siding are going on the house this summer. They will carry me out of this house. Will find a better solution for sure.
John T.
If poison isn't effective, trapping is out, how about a fence? From what I understand that could be a bit of work to make it effective since you'd want chicken wire involved, possibly buried a few inches because skunks like to dig. Some varieties can climb fences as well as trees, so that's something to consider. I suppose electric fences are banned, too? Although I imagine aesthetics are important since the lawn being torn up is the primary concern.

I'm reminded of some of the most entertaining videos I've seen in which a gentleman from Australia battles invading housecats that like to kill birds. He set up some clever defenses that are harmless, but pretty effective, at least in confined spaces. Could get pricey for a whole yard.