Plane advice
Pretty darn easy to spend other people's money.....yep..throw a boatload of cash at a problem....

Whether it confirms Dereks' Theories, or not...couldn't give a Flying Flamingo either way.  
Sleep

Wonder what people did, before there was a LV or LN plane to "save" them......meh....

Some act like they get paid a commission when they get some one else to buy into the dreams....I like a low angle plane....as a BLOCK plane...
Uhoh

that WR 62 was a Door prize......have zero money in it, have no intentions of spending any on it.....
No

Have fun...I have work to do....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(02-16-2020, 09:53 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Pretty darn easy to spend other people's money.....yep..throw a boatload of cash at a problem....

Whether it confirms Dereks' Theories, or not...couldn't give a Flying Flamingo either way.  
Sleep

Wonder what people did, before there was a LV or LN plane to "save" them......meh....

Some act like they get paid a commission when they get some one else to buy into the dreams....I like a low angle plane....as a BLOCK plane...
Uhoh

that WR 62 was a Door prize......have zero money in it, have no intentions of spending any on it.....
No

Winkgrin

Laugh you get cranky pretty easy
Laugh
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-16-2020, 09:53 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Pretty darn easy to spend other people's money.....yep..throw a boatload of cash at a problem....
Nobody's telling the OP - or anyone else - how to spend their money.  We're offering suggestions.
Sleep
Apparently you do or you wouldn't be posting your opinion about it.  Derek's got more talent in his little finger than 99% of woodworkers out there.  I value his opinions.

They went to the corner hardware store and bought a Stanley, Union, Millers Falls, etc.  Or ordered from a Sears Catalog.

No
Yet you are sill using it and have trashed it because it's not working for you.

Winkgrin
I'm having plenty of fun.  I'll have even more when I retire.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Steven, I have a suggestion. As you are either unwilling or unable to sharpen that WR 62 to a useable angle, and since you have $0 money in it, why not ship it off to someone who can? You send it to Arlin to share with the Vets he works with and let him see if he can put it to work. That way it will go to a great cause, and I’ll even reimburse you for the postage so you still won’t have any money in it. Sound like a plan?
I have five bench planes, which is adequate for a professional hand tool woodworker. All were put in service before Lie Nielsen or Lee Valley were making bench planes. In 1976 I stopped using high angle planes, block planes, single iron planes and scrapers; I no longer had trouble with tear out. In 1978 I stopped using sandpaper because it degraded the surfaces I was getting.

I won a Lee Valley plane, a so called "bevel up jointer", in a planing contest in 2011. I left it for the second place finisher as I would have no use for something like this. 

In the early 20th century the old Stanley 62 planes were called low angle block planes, and were specifically designed for planing end grain. We sometimes called them butcher block planes. In the 21st century they were resurrected as planes for difficult grain by people who did not know how to use a traditional bench plane. 

As I mentioned earlier, I recommend a #4 or #5 double iron plane for Shaun; either would answer his needs and either would fit into a nice set if he should develop more interest in hand planing.
Meh....I have BEEN retired for quite some time.....and over the last few decades of woodworking...I tried a lot of different planes, until  I found the right ones for what I do.   Most of them are older than me....there is a couple newish block planes, from the late 60s.....maybe an English #4c ( about the same plane Sellers uses)

Hmmm, maybe go read a few of my own build-along posts..while I still produce them.....at least on this site.  

I could very easily send the OP one of my USER #4s and My Stanley #5-1/2, type 17......I have a spare Millers Falls No.9, type 2, and a I rarely use the Jumbo Jack anymore ( prefer the Stanley #6c, type 10)........

I have some resaw work to do.....have fun
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Laugh   

Meh!  back at you
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-14-2020, 08:28 AM)Shaun Wrote: As time has gone by I have started adding hand tools to my work, but most have been joinery related(router, shoulder plane etc.)

I have a new project coming up with some wider boards I'd rather not rip down to fit my joiner.  My plan is a sled for my planer, but feel like a hand plane to take the high spots off first will make mounting the boards to the sled significantly easier/better.

Which brings me to my question.  Which plane would be best for this?   I am guessing a 5 1/2 jack, but would like some input and advice if anyone feels up to it?   Also how to pick one out wouldn't hurt my feelings either, I scan through e-bay and get lost on what is good for a user at a reasonable price and what isn't.   

Thank you in advance!

I like a #5 with open throat and cambered blade for quickly removing high spots.
I'd aim to get the board to a rough, but flat state with just this plane and then send through planer;  I don't think I'd bother with sled.

It is very useful to have a straight edge and a flat bench to check your progress.
Twist and bow need to be eliminated completely if you want a flat board.
You can probably live with a little bit of residual cup.

Matt
Way too much drama going on here. Do I need to cook up some popcorn? 

Shaun,

Where are you located? 

There may be a woodnetter nearby that would be kind enough to help you out with a loaner.

90% of my handplane work is done with a #5 and a #7 (both vintage Stanley's). I have a second #5 with a cambered blade for fast stock removal, and a nice bronze LN #4 for final surface prep, but rarely pull it out. If I had to pick just one, it would easily be the #5.

I had a 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 but found them too cumbersome and sold them off. I do have a #6, but it is only used with a shooting board. 
Bandit, you really should try a shooting board before talking smack about them, you may just like it. 

I also have bevel up planes (jack and smoother), but they mostly get pulled out when I am flattening end-grain cutting boards as here. 

For the record, the Stanley No. 64 was the Butcher Block Plane. Similar to a No. 62, but with an non-adjustable mouth, beech tote and handle, and two blades - a toothed blade and a normal beveled blade. The entire body is japanned, except for the sole. It's a very rare plane, because it wasn't very popular. Functionally, no real difference between the No. 62 and No. 64 except the 64 is more limited because of the inability to adjust the mouth.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill