"Thick" TBII
Titebond Original fan here. I used to thin with water when putting up 12' bendable handrails to give me more open time.
Never lost a joint on one of those.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-15-2020, 10:23 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: My wife gives me a very nice allowance so a new bottle of glue is very cheap....but I hate waste.  I have added water to many bottles through the years.

^^^^^ This - I really believe we're "overthinking" this. Somehow, I doubt anyone here will go broke buying another bottle of Titebond glue. However, like Bill I do not like unnecessary waste. I've diluted Titebond glue many, many times when I thought the viscosity was a little too thick for my application. I was recently doing some edge glue-ups of 5/8" thick material and thought the glue was a little too thick (new bottle). Dipped my acid brush in water many times while applying the glue to the edges.

No failures to date.

Doug
Thanks for all the replies, fellas.  I've been gluing up some joints with that thick glue and it seems to work fine, just harder to use than glue of normal consistency.  I skwoz a gob into a small dish and applied it with a shortened acid bush.  It's the thickness of thick yogurt.  A golf ball sized glob flattens to about half that thickness.  It cures hard and for all appearances looks fine.  I will give it a shot of water to make it a bit more user friendly though.  Waste not want not. I also have a fresh bottle on the shelf.
Winkgrin
(02-16-2020, 12:17 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Thanks for all the replies, fellas.  I've been gluing up some joints with that thick glue and it seems to work fine, just harder to use than glue of normal consistency.  I skwoz a gob into a small dish and applied it with a shortened acid bush.  It's the thickness of thick yogurt.  A golf ball sized glob flattens to about half that thickness.  It cures hard and for all appearances looks fine.  I will give it a shot of water to make it a bit more user friendly though.  Waste not want not.  I also have a fresh bottle on the shelf.
Winkgrin

I write the date I buy glue on the bottle. That's not the manufacturing date but it gives me an idea of how old it is.
Murphy's law says if it can go wrong , it will go wrong at the worst possible time and cause the greatest amount of damage. The best way to deal with a possible problem is to not allow it in the first place. 

While I was serving my apprenticeship one of the tool makers who was training me replied to something I said. He asked me a rhetorical question which was:  if I didn't have time to do it right the first time how did I figure I had time to do it right the second time.

So on a personal note, and with an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, on my mind I would,  drink less coffee, get more sleep, get fresher bottle of glue and get on with my life.  

Tom
No one asked this question - How does it smell?

I'd thin the glue with water and use it on non-critical projects or parts IF it smells normal. Otherwise, don't be penny wise.

Those who said they did ok with thinning thick glue might have glue that was different than yours in their condition.

Simon
(02-26-2020, 08:37 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: No one asked this question - How does it smell?

I'd thin the glue with water and use it on non-critical projects or parts IF it smells normal. Otherwise, don't be penny wise.

Those who said they did ok with thinning thick glue might have glue that was different than yours in their condition.

Simon

I didn't notice any peculiar smell to it.  It's all used up now so not an issue anymore. I had some cutoffs with glue lines in them. One broke in the glue line and one splintered the wood so mixed results. None of the joints I used the glue on are very critical.  If they fail, they should be easy to fix, but I don't think they'll give me any trouble.

Phil
(02-26-2020, 01:34 PM)Phil S. Wrote: I didn't notice any peculiar smell to it.  It's all used up now so not an issue anymore. I had some cutoffs with glue lines in them. One broke in the glue line and one splintered the wood so mixed results. None of the joints I used the glue on are very critical.  If they fail, they should be easy to fix, but I don't think they'll give me any trouble.

Phil

Good to know about your experience, Phil. The mixed results, despite no abnormality in the smell, should sound a warning to anyone contemplating using "thick" glue for critical joinery components.

Simon