Sweet little guys
One of the things I like about Starrett's design is that it's got two opposing knurled nuts for the fine adjuster, one on each side of the leg.  They can be tightened against the leg to lock the adjustment in dead solid.  I've somehow managed to acquire two (inheritance from Uncle Charlie and score from yard sale); they're my 6" and up dividers/compasses.
(02-20-2020, 09:40 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: One of the things I like about Starrett's design is that it's got two opposing knurled nuts for the fine adjuster, one on each side of the leg.  They can be tightened against the leg to lock the adjustment in dead solid.  I've somehow managed to acquire two (inheritance from Uncle Charlie and score from yard sale); they're my 6" and up dividers/compasses.

I agree...and they are stout enough that they don't "spring" when scoring deeply. Can't say that about many styles and brands....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-20-2020, 09:30 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................................
I see what appears to be a "loose-leg" Starrett third from the right...Maybe a Stanley tho....they look very much alike.,..One of the best styles made IMO........
Winkgrin
It’s a PEXTO, and a favorite find of mine! Absolutely one of the best styles made.
(02-20-2020, 10:01 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: It’s a PEXTO, and a favorite find of mine! Absolutely one of the best styles made.

Sweet!!!!!!!! I didn't realize Peck, Stowe and Wilcox ever made that style...but I do know they made quality tools.....
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(02-18-2020, 02:31 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: I can't help myself...I just love the little guys...Here's a shot of a small number I have collected over many years. The smaller the better...These are mostly Starrett and B&S....but I have some that were patented in 1860's.......

What do you have???

I have the large clam shell outside caliper but without the adjustable leg. I have 6 outside calipers that are not antiques. Also have a single leg and single dog leg scriber. I forgot the correct name. Grandpa used them a lot to mark off measurements from an end of a part in a metal lathe. Have two sizes of inside calipers, Starrett combination square with 45° head and a protractor head. Many metal working tools and instruments, some antiques others only 100 years old.

mike
[Image: fullsizeoutput-b7b.jpg]
lso have a single leg and single dog leg scriber. I forgot the correct name. Grandpa used them a lot to mark off measurements from an end of a part in a metal lathe.

You may be referring to Hermaphrodite calipers shown in the middle right side of this picture....They could be used for that, plus center- finding etc.

Get off my lawn !
Upset