Lie-Nielsen Honing guide and Off-brand tools?
I am heavily dependant on my Eclipse-style honing guide. However, it lacks capability in various areas. Since I only have two planes made by LN, I am nervous about dropping money on a jig that might not work for my other brand names, especially LV tools. I have not seen much discussion involving LV with the exception of dumping their guides for LN's.

Are there any hazards, or positives in off-brand uses involving Lie-Nielsen's honing guide?

Thanks for your help.
Bruce
I have been using the LN guide for years and it has proven to be an excellent addition to my sharpening arsenal.

(02-18-2020, 03:23 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I am heavily dependant on my Eclipse-style honing guide. However, it lacks capability in various areas. Since I only have two planes made by LN, I am nervous about dropping money on a jig that might not work for my other brand names, especially LV tools. I have not seen much discussion involving LV with the exception of dumping their guides for LN's.

Are there any hazards, or positives in off-brand uses involving Lie-Nielsen's honing guide?

Thanks for your help.
Bruce
Not possessing an LN guide I can only say that I have heard the following: Skew guides only do the angles LN sells and I do not know if they have an adapter for non-parallel edges. Suggest picking up the phone and asking about specific items of concern.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Which specific lee valley tools do you want ro know about?
I have read about the skew limits. I am still fearful of multiple little pieces (accessories) wandering off.

I may be better off making wood guides for shorter butt chisels and the narrow ones that can't be gripped. These are the main culprits that fight my Eclipse-style. I am not sure the LN will resolve this problem. 

The E-clone stretches to fit new oirenomi chisels under 30-degrees (27) bevel. I'd like to work some down to 24-25.

.... I'm talking myself out of going the LN route!
Crazy
(02-19-2020, 11:58 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I have read about the skew limits. I am still fearful of multiple little pieces (accessories) wandering off.

I may be better off making wood guides for shorter butt chisels and the narrow ones that can't be gripped. These are the main culprits that fight my Eclipse-style. I am not sure the LN will resolve this problem. 

The E-clone stretches to fit new oirenomi chisels under 30-degrees (27) bevel. I'd like to work some down to 24-25.

.... I'm talking myself out of going the LN route!
Crazy
Yes it will cost a few bucks but on the whole, the LN stuff holds its value for resale so think of it as a rental fee if it doesn't work out.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(02-19-2020, 05:14 PM)Rob Young Wrote: Yes it will cost a few bucks but on the whole, the LN stuff holds its value for resale so think of it as a rental fee if it doesn't work out.

I prefer knowing before dropping the beans. 

I look at the thing and all I see is a fancy Eclipse. So depressing. The good thing is I already have a protractor and saw and wood.... 

It's a sunny day, and the dog had her poop.
(02-18-2020, 03:23 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I am heavily dependant on my Eclipse-style honing guide. However, it lacks capability in various areas. Since I only have two planes made by LN, I am nervous about dropping money on a jig that might not work for my other brand names, especially LV tools. I have not seen much discussion involving LV with the exception of dumping their guides for LN's.

Thanks for your help.
Bruce

Bruce, I have most of the honing guides. While I see myself as a free hand sharpener by preference, a honing guide is important for accurate secondary bevels on BU planes and accurate back bevels on plough blades. 

Having said this, there is no "best" honing guide. It depends on what you want to sharpen. 

For simple, straight primary angles, I use the LN. It is better made than the eclipse, it is it feels better in the hand and runs more smoothly, it holds a blade more solidly, and it does this more reliable out of the box (Eclipse guides need a good bit of tuning). If all you are doing is stuff that you would use in an Eclipse, the LN is a better Eclipse.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(02-20-2020, 12:52 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Bruce, I have most of the honing guides. While I see myself as a free hand sharpener by preference, a honing guide is important for accurate secondary bevels on BU planes and accurate back bevels on plough blades. 

Having said this, there is no "best" honing guide. It depends on what you want to sharpen. 

For simple, straight primary angles, I use the LN. It is better made than the eclipse, it is it feels better in the hand and runs more smoothly, it holds a blade more solidly, and it does this more reliable out of the box (Eclipse guides need a good bit of tuning). If all you are doing is stuff that you would use in an Eclipse, the LN is a better Eclipse.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi, Derek. No doubt the LN is better made. My worry is the two are so similar that the smaller chisels I can't control freehand, due to incompatibility with the E-type, will still share the same problems on the LN. 

I am looking at galoot jigs purpose built for the various shapes of sharps that need support. They could be a subject for a future Giggles-and-Mock post.
Bruce, you did not say what the issue was (until now).

If you want to hone small chisels, then don't even look at a guide with a narrow wheel. Get one with a wide wheel.

There are a number of guides you can use.

One was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...qAx0gG8Ubw

The one I would recommend for you is the Veritas Mk II with the small blade accessory and straight wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com