Add electrical outlet in furniture
I'm building a sideboard/buffet to replace a simple console table. Right now it's got a receptacle underneath it which is easily accessible. However, once the buffet is done, it will block that.

I see there are recessed outlets intended for conference tables, which could easily work. None of them seem to have flat plugs, though, and that puts the table a few inches from the wall.

I assume this is a common problem. What's the solution? Access panel to the existing receptacle? Don't put it there?
It all depends on what you need to plug in. Can you pull another outlet either above the buffet or to one side? I usually wouldn't modify a furniture design to accommodate an electrical outlet unless it was an entertainment center. Do you actually need access to this receptacle?
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Not often. I think I plug in the vacuum there occasionally. It's honestly not used very much at all.

My original intent was to house the toaster oven in it. We don't use it at all but it would be way more efficient than using the full oven to heat up fish sticks for my kids. We could easily put it on the counter and plug it in.

I don't really want to modify the design. I know there are low profile outlet adapters that let you plug in sideways. For temporary things I could always use casters.
I run into this in renovations often.  If the sideboard will end up more as a permanent cabinet, just move that outlet up into an old work box above the counter and fish the wire down to the blocked one, then cover that with a blank plate (making it a junction box).

You’d be surprised how handy that outlet becomes for crock pots at parties, charging stations, or accent lighting.
(02-19-2020, 07:17 AM)FS7 Wrote: I'm building a sideboard/buffet to replace a simple console table. Right now it's got a  receptacle underneath it which is easily accessible. However, once the buffet is done, it will block that.

I see there are recessed outlets intended for conference tables, which could easily work. None of them seem to have flat plugs, though, and that puts the table a few inches from the wall.

I assume this is a common problem. What's the solution? Access panel to the existing receptacle? Don't put it there?
Would something like this work?

[Image: 49557556742_db6e55f9ff_c.jpg]
If the cabinet isn't intended to be moved (if it is going to be built-in), I'd remove the receptacle, tack on a piece of Romex using wire nuts (more likely Lever Nuts for me) and route that through the new cabinet, and into a receptacle mounted in a box in the cabinet.

If the cabinet is not attached, I'd get a cord with a flat plug, cut the receptacle end off, and wire that cord to a box in the cabinet.

In either case, use the correct wire size for the circuit.
If it were permanent it would be easier. I didn't think of adding a receptacle above, but that would be pretty easy. Not a bad idea but I'd probably end up keeping it covered by something when it's not in use. The alternative would be to add a box extender and just make it part of the cabinet.

Alas, it's not intended to be permanent. The recessed outlet posted is intended for standard wiring. I meant something that's more often referred to as a conference outlet, so recessed into s table top and not a wall.

As for wiring stranded extension cord copper to a receptacle, that is essentially what conference outlets do. I am not sure whether that would be code legal at all, though it's possible that being a temporary fixture it's not subject to certain regulations. But regardless it's a better idea to use preterminated UL-listed receptacles that serve the same purpose.

FS7 --
A cutting board island intended to be in the middle of the kitchen.  You can see the receptacle on the left side.  There is also one on the other side.  The island is movable, but not often.  I just installed a floor outlet in the kitchen floor, then a cord to plug in the outlets.  The cord can be unplugged from inside the island cabinet.
Take care,
Russ
I used these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CN1PWC...asin_title
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(02-19-2020, 11:49 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: If the cabinet isn't intended to be moved (if it is going to be built-in), I'd remove the receptacle, tack on a piece of Romex using wire nuts (more likely Lever Nuts for me) and route that through the new cabinet, and into a receptacle mounted in a box in the cabinet.

If the cabinet is not attached, I'd get a cord with a flat plug, cut the receptacle end off, and wire that cord to a box in the cabinet.

In either case, use the correct wire size for the circuit.

Is the old outlet then considered a concealed junction box ?   Roly