Legs for assembly table?
I used 2 x 4s for the legs on mine with 2 x 4s for the upper and lower skirts.  I put a 3/4" MDF shelf on the lower skirts and I drilled a copy of a Festool MFT table top from 3/4" MDF.

I assembled using butt joints and two pocket screws per joint.  No  glue.  Very rigid and strong when assembled.

For an assembly table I recommend doing the same for the top.  You can also buy a MFT top, but they are expensive (and are basically a consumable product).

I bought a 3/4" diameter bushing and a 3/4" diameter auger tipped drill bit.  The auger tip was a mistake and it sucked the bit in too fast .  Use a backer board when drilling or the underside will be ragged.

I also added peg board to the sides and back of the leg assembly.  The peg board acted as gussets and made the entire assembly very rigid.  I built two and put them both on locking swivel casters so I can move them around.  For larger pieces this is very handy.

I used pegboard as a template to drill pilot holes 4" on center.  On each table one hole is out of alignment.  I don't know why that is.  So I do  not use the holes as a gage, but only for clamping.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You have lots of good information on making a base. For the top, I suggest considering the use of a solid core door. Get a used one if you can and cut it to the size you need. I have used one for many years and find it to be very stable, flat, and solid. I have mine covered with plastic laminate so that I can use it as a gluing surface. When gluing up something like frame and panel doors, I can clamp them down to the table and I am assured that they will be flat when the glue cures. Any glue left on the table (laminate) will scrape right off.
Consider a 20 mm grid system or a 3/4" grid system. The variety of clamping solutions that result boggle the mind. Make the top sacrificial and you have a cutting table as well as an assembly table. MDF can be surprisingly strong - depending on the span.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Food for thought.

When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

I used Festool's MFT table dimensions for my assembly tables (3).  I figured that Festool's engineers had spent countless hours determining the best and most useful size for the table.  And since I did not have any overriding need for specific dimensions for my tables I simply copied.  I have not had situations where I have regretted my decision.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...ftUe8O7nsc

Table Dimensions   45 9/16" x 30 7/16" (1157 x 773 mm)

Two of the tables are on locking casters and I can arrange them in a L-formation, a T-formation or simply as a double long table or a double wide table.  It has worked well for me.

The third table is on adjustable height leveling feet and I use it as an out-feed table.  I used drilled MDF for the top and undrilled mdf for the bottom shelf.  On the sides I also used 3/4" MDF, which I drilled to accept 1/2" dowels that I glued in and I keep my saw blades and dado blades mounted on those dowels (about 5" long).  I have not had occasion to use the drilled holes on the out-feed, so I probably wasted my time and effort drilling all those holes.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Aram, my workbench base is similar to DaveR1's diagram except it doesn't have the long top rails. Instead, I have wide, thick bottom rails mortised and tenoned into the legs. The big shoulders of the bottom rail tenons give me plenty of lateral stability. I don't have to worry about an apron gettin in the way of clamping to the top. It has short rails (front-to-back) both top and bottom, also mortised into the legs, that prevent fore and aft racking. The top overhangs on the ends about 18" so I have plenty of room to clamp on the ends. It's very sturdy - hasn't moved in 15 years.
I think you are overthinking it a bit, OP.
No need for 4 x 4 legs or double 2 x 4
I have a 4 x 8 outfeed table/assembly table.
It's slightly larger than 4 x 8 so that I Can store sheet goods under it.
2 x 4 legs , screwed into "rectangles" at the top and bottom.
I got a butcher block top from menards, drilled 3/4" holes in it and made that the top.
I intend to put an oil finish on it so that it will resist glue sticking to it.. for now, I just put a plastic sheet over it when I glue up.
I don't use the top as sacrificial, but I can see why some guys would.

The menard's butcher block was already flat, very easy to attach. I put a few shims under it because my 2 x 4 frame was not perfectly flat.

Edit.. I don't use my table for hand planing.. if you plan on doing that, then yes, beef it up as much as possible. I use my clamps for holding things while sanding, etc. not much force needed.