Epoxy as a finish.
I am going to refinish a vanity top and table top for a lady.  They were originally finished with water based Poly.

Would you recommend epoxy as a more durable finish?

If yes, then should I sand them down to the wood?

Application issues?  How would I apply it and get an even finish?

The epoxy I have is fairly thin so if I use it would I want to just do the top service and leave the edges alone?

Epoxy would end up more of a gloss finish than what they have on them now.  If I use it, could I take some steel wool and dull the finish some?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Toney
Epoxy would not be something I'd consider for those projects.  If you are concerned about durability then use a catalyzed product like conversion varnish or 2K poly.  You can find both solvent and waterborne versions of both.  You'll likely have to go back to bare wood with any product.  Short of those products, Waterlox and Arm-R-Seal are pretty durable and can be applied with nothing more than a rag.  

John
I see poured epoxy finish on bar tops.  It is very durable, but it looks like a thick layer of plastic over the wood. 

Automobile chassis get painted with pigmented epoxy finishes and those are sprayed.  

They use clear epoxy finishes that are brushable for building canoes and small boats.  Those apply much more thinly.  They have to maintain some flexibility for that application so I don't know how hard the finish is, and I have never used it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...oat+finish
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Toney, I have epoxied a few desks- it is not to hard to get it level, though the sides can be an issue - the ones i used were live edge, so I just brushed it on and let it drip off. You are probably best off removing the existing finish, other wise you have have adhesion issues. You may want to consider than i general, the tougher the surface, the harder to repair, and no matter how tough the finish, someone can always put a scrape or scratch in it. Another direction is to go with a wiping varnish - it will be much easier to repair than a tougher finish.
Thanks everyone.

Not sure as of this moment what I will do.
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2004/11/...g-a-finish

What finishes are more durable?

The durability of a finish is measured by its resistance to water, chemicals, solvents (such as those in alkaline cleaners and acidic foods), heat and scratches. Wax, shellac, lacquer and some water-based finishes will be damaged if exposed to water long enough. Most of these products also scratch easily; however, they rub out well. (That’s the flip side of scratch resistance.) Wax is surprisingly resistant to acids and alkalis. Aside from that, it is the least durable finish. Shellac is neither resistant to alkalis such as ammonia nor to alcohol. Of all the evaporative finishes, lacquer (nitrocellulose and acrylic, water- and solvent-based) fare the best in terms of overall durability. Oil-based polyurethane is the most durable finish you can apply by hand, and catalyzed lacquer and varnish are the most durable sprayed finishes.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.