shellac is gritty
I have mixed up a solution of garnet shellac.  I have checked the amounts of flakes to alcohol and know that that is correct.  I have tried to filter it through paint filters and paper filters.  Not much gets filtered through and that that does filter leaves a gritty surface after application.  What type of filter material works best  for you all out there?  Any other suggestions? (I grind up the flakes in coffee grinder)    Thanks.
Puzzling. The shellac that is in the alcohol is completely dissolved. I always have some that doesn't dissolve when I mix it, but it comes out in the paint strainer. Are you sure the surface effect is from the shellac...maybe it's some raised grain? Put some of the shellac on a non wood surface (glass, laminate, whatever) and see if it feels rough.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-21-2020, 06:28 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Puzzling. The shellac that is in the alcohol is completely dissolved. I always have some that doesn't dissolve when I mix it, but it comes out in the paint strainer. Are you sure the surface effect is from the shellac...maybe it's some raised grain? Put some of the shellac on a non wood surface (glass, laminate, whatever) and see if it feels rough.

That's the same as I was thinking - raised grain.  It can be pretty rough after the first coat depending upon what wood it's applied to.  I sand it back with 320 or 400 grit and then all is well.  

John
Are you talking about raised grain after the first application? If so, hit it lightly with 220 and apply again. This is typical.
Semper fi,
Brad