plumbing help
Having drain problems with a bathtub. I think I have found the problem. It seems to be where the tub,washer and dishwasher join.I suspect it has a sock stuck in it. I have had no luck going down the tub overflow. I think I need to attack it from the wall in the garage. I have a power drain snake. It is a straight shot if I drill through the y fitting. I can't get to it to put a Fernco sleeve on it. How else do I patch the hole?
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
(02-22-2020, 05:38 PM)messmaker Wrote: Having drain problems with a bathtub. I think I have found the problem. It seems to be where the tub,washer and dishwasher join.I suspect it has a sock stuck in it. I have had no luck going down the tub overflow. I think I need to attack it from the wall in the garage. I have a power drain snake. It is a straight shot if I drill through the y fitting. I can't get to it to put a Fernco sleeve on it. How else do I patch the hole?

Can you snake down the washer drain ?  Roly
Can you snake down the roof vent??
John T.
(02-22-2020, 05:38 PM)messmaker Wrote: Having drain problems with a bathtub. I think I have found the problem. It seems to be where the tub,washer and dishwasher join.I suspect it has a sock stuck in it. I have had no luck going down the tub overflow. I think I need to attack it from the wall in the garage. I have a power drain snake. It is a straight shot if I drill through the y fitting. I can't get to it to put a Fernco sleeve on it. How else do I patch the hole?

If the Y is PVC there are plugs that are threaded. I have drilled and threaded PVC . The pipe was tapped for 3/4" NPT. The plug looks the same as a steel or brass one, but cheaper. There may be unthreaded plugs that you glue in. I used threaded because it comes out periodically . This was not for water but part of a science fair for teens. These taps might be rented or borrowed.
If the Y is steel or another metal , can't help.
mike
All three replies are helpful. Will give them a try. Trying to decide which is easier
When my galvanized iron drain pipe for my shower backed up I called a plumber (emergency service call) and he used an electric snake.  It took him about a half an hour to get the 30 feet of pipe snaked out.  It has been fine since.

But since the emergency  service was so expensive ($350.00) and there seemed to be almost no skill involved, I bought one of these to keep in the house:

https://www.harborfreight.com/23-ft-auto...64063.html

I waited for it to be on sale.  I think I paid $99.00.  I cannot remember.  I have not used it yet.  It is sitting on the shelf, and hopefully it will rest for all eternity.

But it is there if I need it.  I don't think I would use it on PVC pipe.  I think it would drill a hole in it at the trap.

[Image: 64063_I.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-24-2020, 10:01 AM)Cooler Wrote: When my galvanized iron drain pipe for my shower backed up I called a plumber (emergency service call) and he used an electric snake.  It took him about a half an hour to get the 30 feet of pipe snaked out.  It has been fine since.

But since the emergency  service was so expensive ($350.00) and there seemed to be almost no skill involved, I bought one of these to keep in the house:

https://www.harborfreight.com/23-ft-auto...64063.html

I waited for it to be on sale.  I think I paid $99.00.  I cannot remember.  I have not used it yet.  It is sitting on the shelf, and hopefully it will rest for all eternity.

But it is there if I need it.  I don't think I would use it on PVC pipe.  I think it would drill a hole in it at the trap.

[Image: 64063_I.jpg]
I wouldn't think it would damage PVC, it seems to be pretty slick & hard.
I have went down washer drain,tub overflow and  up main 3" drain. I did not go downward as I found no standing water in drain indicating a stoppage. The washer and dishwasher are both backing up into the tub. This makes sense as it is the last connection before it joins the main drain. That leaves a 2 foot section between the tub and main drain that connects via a t or y connection through the wall. I don't know how to get to this unless I drill through the back side of the fitting or disconnect the kitchen plumping drain and try it from there. Any ideas?
I would disconnect the kitchen drain and try from there before I cut into my plumbing. Is the section of pipe where you suspect the leak accessible at all? Can you cut the fitting out and replace it rather than drill through it?

The first thing to determine is if it's a stoppage or a slow drain. I have a 2" drain that serves only the kitchen sink/dishwasher and a bathroom sink. My ongoing problem is that it runs 24' horizontally before it meets up with the main drain. This is far enough for any grease to cool down and solidify. If, when I first notice it's getting slow I flush it with scalding hot water for about 10 minutes, it will be better for a short period. Eventually (about annually) I have to pull an end clean-out and clear the drain with hot water connected to a 20' length of pex. It's happened often enough that I have bored a hole thru the ribbon joist so I can extend the pipe and keep the mess outside of the building. I've actually made it so easy that the only thing that could make it easier is to change the schedule so it doesn't always happen during sub-zero temperatures.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"