2 drawer chest
Nope, no finish, yet.....still just bare wood....give me about a week....might have something by then....and...NO paint.  
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Do you rub the glue joints with sawdust? From craggy edges to nicely finished took something. I always get discoloration with any of the modern glues that are exposed.
A small dab of glue into any cracks....since I sanded those fingers down...all that sanding dust was put to good use.    Why a sander, instead of a plane.....safer for the wooden fingers....have had a few split out, before.....now, I just "buzz" them flush....works nicely enough, and no fingers get damaged by a plane.   

Drawers are to also have finger joints,,,,stay tuned for that fun...Fronts and sides are 1/4" -5/16" thick...would be a chore to do dovetails...and don't even think half blind ones would be...practicable
No
Base came out of the clamps, today....took a while to get it flat, get things trimmed to size and almost square..
Rolleyes   Then glued it into place
Rolleyes  

And set it aside, for a while..was working with a 2 hour time limit...so...worked on the lid next...Cleaned up all the high spots, both with a plane, and a sander,,,,trimmed to size, and then the fun began...decided to add bread board ends to the lid.  Roughed out the tongues on the end of the lid....found one end was out of square...then a Routah was put to work...
Cool

Yep..that one...was much room for error, either..
Rolleyes

Turned out..this spot was a tad thick yet...cracked the groove on the end piece...had to router more off, and cut a new end piece
Angry  until there was a dry fit that came out right...

A little more tune up, and then the glue and cauls and clamps...
Rolleyes

Vise was also acting as a caul...c clamp up at the top is also holding a caul.   Let this sit a day..
Used the #358 Mitre box, to cut 2 drawers front to length..

Case is sitting on the tablesaw, on it's top, because of all them clamps.   I also rounded up some other blanks..

The 2 skinny ones will be moldings, across the front and back..the wide one gets ripped to size, and is for the ends...

Plan at the moment, is to add a square glue block in each corner, and then a little scroll work in-between the feet. 
Confused

Right now?   Just watching glue dry....always tomorrow, and another 2hour shop time..
Winkgrin
Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Wound up working 3 hours in the shop, today.    Got to the point that Uncle Charles went after my toes...hate cramps in the toes...and, to top off "one of them days"..
No

This ran dry....
Angry Anyway, lid came out of the clamps...nothing creaked or popped..except my knees
Winkgrin

But..something didn't look right...
No 

Yep, both ends were a hair off of square...buzzed it square....then rounded the corners a bit..
Winkgrin 

And sized the hinges.  Set this aside, for now.   For about the next hour, or so...case was cleaned up, and flush to the plywood base...

Kept going round and round.   Finally, was able to make some strips to attach to the plywood...almost like molding.   Cutouts in the front one..

But, not the back one...ends got a simpler cut-out..
Winkgrin

Then used the case to help size the drawer fronts better...

Stanley #3 to adjust the fit.   Found some drawer knobs the other day..
Confused

I think these might just do.....Stay tuned, part 2 of today's follies is coming right up....
Winkgrin
Ok, decided to attach the hinges, at least to the lid, will have to wait on glue to dry, before the lid is attached to the case...

Had the pilot hole drill IN the shop....set the hinges in from the end about 2", used a hinge to lay out where the holes were going...
Cool

North Bros #41, with the smallest bit it had..so..ready to attach the hinges?   Not exactly..screwdriver for those very TINY screws was upstairs...

The one in the center, has a phillips the right size...was so much fun, with cramps in the toes, to go upstairs and bring the tool to the shop..along with something to drink..
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes

Will have to wait, until the clamps come off the case, before I can add the lid.
Rolleyes 
Decided to mill drawer parts...found the width and length for the sides of the drawers, and make a few blanks...including one extra, just in case ( I can test fit with it)
Drawer backs were also cut to ~ size....but, they needed planed flat..
Rolleyes 

Haven't decided on how the back corners will get joined..yet.  That piece of plywood was also cut to size...and the edges jointed...

And..that was about it for the day....was trying to get a little something done...will try again, tomorrow..IF I get a bottle of glue to the shop..

Stay tuned....

"It was just one small chest.hardly overflowing...and it still smells of Troll"......Bilbo Baggins...
Winkgrin
I like this project and looks really good to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Out with the old( empty) bottle, in with the new (FULL) bottle...
Winkgrin

had some clamps to remove...
Rolleyes  

Soooo..
Winkgrin

I could then sand and shape the base molding,  rounding the corners, and..
Confused

Finding a line of dried glue squeeze out....took a while to get set up..extra board for support....got around to the front...
Rolleyes

This was supposed to be flush across here, where the drawer slides in...molding sits a hair too high...
Confused

About the only plane that would fit in there..
Cool  Got that all nice and level.   Decided to install the lid..
Rolleyes  Now, 6 turns of the Yankee #41 is just the right depth for pilot holes...however, 7 turns is one too many...
No

And winds up going through the 5/16" thick board...note that hole?   Close the lid!
Winkgrin 

And set this aside for a while....but close enough to check the fits of the drawer parts...
Cool

Which will be the next episode...
Stay tuned
Big Grin
Ok...drawers....someday, I might get good at them...
Confused 
Drawer fronts needed a rebate...so 

Found a way to hold them in place, set up the Stanley 45, and mill a rebate along the bottom edges....had to make sure which was "inside" and which was the bottom of the part....then use the plywood for the bottom, to check the fit...
Winkgrin

Next, the corners will use finger/box joints.  Need to lay things out so that rebate is hidden
Cool  and saw some lines
Winkgrin

Then chop out the waste, with the "finger tools"
Cool 

Then use these to lay out and chop the rest, sides and all..

Then lay the plywood on top..

Usual luck..too long, too wide, one end not square...fixed all of that...was going to glue and nail this all together....Ash and small nails do NOT get along very well, so
Plan B...

Vise was used to hold things together, while I added a few clamps..back of drawer is just glued in place...may go back, drill a few pilot holes, and still nail it up

But, I needed a couple more clamps.   well, with the vise in use, kind of hard to do any more work...was getting a bit tired, anyway....closed up for the night.

Might try again tomorrow, even though it IS a Monday...
Uhoh

Stay tuned
Cool
Ok..all of these came off the first drawer..
Rolleyes  

never fear, these and a few more will be back in use...and off the Dryer...
Uhoh  so clean up on the drawer..
Confused

Kept test fitting it, sanding or planing down where needed....finally got the drawer to fit...decided to add 2 knobs
Uhoh 

Yep, that is the drill bit used...was a tad too big....had to add glue to both the hole and the tenon on the knob, coat the glued tenon with sawdust, and then clamp them in place....the sawdust taking up the "slack" in the hole...

And set this aside for a while....fingers for the other drawer..

getting better at this....
Rolleyes  soon had all four corners done..
Winkgrin

Time for glue, the drawer bottom..and a forest of clamps..
Cool

hard to believe bit I needed a few more clamps in there..
Winkgrin 

And that was about as far as I got, today...
Clamps came off the knobs..

Just over 2 hours today...not bad for a Monday? 
Confused
Stay tuned...
Cool