Lee Valley chisels
(02-26-2020, 04:41 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Second hand items offer no returns or warranty, not to mention they have been used. I discount a used tool like this:

Used: 30%
Warranty forfeited: 10%
Condition less than pristine:10%

So 50% is the minimum. Often, dealers offer promotional discounts of 30% or even 50% to brand new tools. Dewalt cordless drills are a common example.

Look at the discounts Festool is currently offering on BRAND NEW Kapex, Emerald sets etc. with the usual full warranty and return benefits. Want me to buy a second hand tool just to save 20 or 30%? Thank you very much...I pass. I would rather buy new and enjoy the protection of free returns within x days or warranty...if i need something and can't wait. If I can wait, anything second hand and not discounted 50%+ from its prevailing retail price won't get my attention.

Simon

There is a distinct difference between hand tool and power tool pricing.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-26-2020, 07:59 PM)Admiral Wrote: There is a distinct difference between hand tool and power tool pricing.

Really? Why?

I am not talking about collectibles or antique tools, or second tools offered for sale by dealers or businesses. Look at the chisels that changed hands at $30.

A private owner/seller may value his hand tools greatly, but when the time comes that he NEEDS to sell them for whatever reasons, the market or demand dictates, not what he thinks they're worth. Of course, there're specific situations or certain brands where a second hand tool can fetch a good price, such as places where no local vendors are available or VAT applies.

Simon
The difference is in longevity and complexity. Power tools especially hand held power tools generally have shorter lifespans and more things to go wrong.

My cordless drill with be almost valueless in 20 years tops 10%.

My LN #4 will be worth 80-90% discounting inflation as long as I don't abuse it.
(02-26-2020, 08:31 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Really? Why?

I am not talking about collectibles or antique tools, or second tools offered for sale by dealers or businesses. Look at the chisels that changed hands at $30.

A private owner/seller may value his hand tools greatly, but when the time comes that he NEEDS to sell them for whatever reasons, the market or demand dictates, not what he thinks they're worth. Of course, there're specific situations or certain brands where a second hand tool can fetch a good price, such as places where no local vendors are available or VAT applies.

Simon

Just because a quality chisel is "used" does not automatically rate a 30% discount, and discount off of what?  Retail?  What if its a set of RJ bits from the '30s, not collectible but very useful; and taking another 10% off the bits for no warranty makes no sense, where it would make sense for a power tool.  And yes, sellers may have pressure to sell, or may not be aware of the value of something, or they simply don't care.  Another factor is the venue; if for example those LV chisels were put on ebay they would have gone for far more, same if sold in an active flea market or MWTCA or PATINA tailgating venue.  Finally, I agree there's the caveat emptor factor, i.e., no returns for subsequently discovered flaws, and while I've gotten skunked several times in 30 years of buying used handtools, that's my fault for failing to properly inspect the item.  My whole point is that everything is situational, e.g., circumstances of the sale, awareness of item value by the seller and the buyer, the reality of market value, etc., and adherence to flat percentage discount rules will more often result in a buyer missing an opportunity and not getting a quality tool at a fair price.  I'd agree that condition is a variable.  But in the end every buyer and seller makes their own calculus and proceeds accordingly.
The OP should have called this a Weekend Score. That way we could give him a "You Suck" award. Even if Simon thinks it deserves "Ho-Humm" status. I do appreciate and thank you, Simon, for the lesson in bargaining. Like me, the more detail you divulge, the more exposure your neck has. 

I mean, at my age how many times am I going to wear out another Stanley Butt when I am still working on the first after thirty or more years. I don't even want to pick up that blunted thing and look a house wall that needs to be opened.

It's a tough life in the trenches now. I won't look at a cordless power tool, even if power cords are a minor hassle.
(02-27-2020, 08:31 AM)Admiral Wrote: But in the end every buyer and seller makes their own calculus and proceeds accordingly.

I think we are not as far apart as it appeared on this topic. I agree with most of the points you detailed in your post. What I'm trying to assert is that for me, the 50% off and more is the cut-off point where I will consider paying for a second hand tool. That % is mine, and obviously, other woodworkers have their own figures depending on their factors of consideration. I even came across a few cases where some woodworkers paid more than the retail prices for used tools.

Bottomline for me about discounts is how desperate I want that tool. Very desperate and little savings from a second hand sale, I buy new. Otherwise, I can wait...some estate sales here are done by families who don't know what they are selling. I'm sure some of you have come across sales like that in your local community.

Simon
Well this derailed quickly @hbmcc I am sorry I didn't call it a weekend score although it wasnt a weekend when I even picked them up. I think I got a good deal on chisels that retail for 127
(02-27-2020, 03:00 PM)briman87 Wrote: Well this derailed quickly @hbmcc I am sorry I didn't call it a weekend score although it wasnt a weekend when I even picked them up. I think I got a good deal on chisels that retail for 127

Ok!!  Not derailed, just beating dead horses here!!

Oh, by the way, let me be the first,   
Smile
Smile

[Image: gallery_87575_5003_1370779883_9270.jpg]
(02-27-2020, 03:00 PM)briman87 Wrote: Well this derailed quickly @hbmcc I am sorry I didn't call it a weekend score although it wasnt a weekend when I even picked them up. I think I got a good deal on chisels that retail for 127

I might give you benefit for being new here; but four months to get on top of your act is too long for a lot of codgers around here. Just don't let it happen again--you are in the crosshairs now.

Welcome aboard, if after that long and 20 posts you weren't formally inducted..... 

Bruce

BTW, I don't think that link attempt "@xxxx" works here. And, we don't talk about "forks". The word gestapo has that one tagged ... or, did.
I’m not sure what is going on here. I signed up a few months ago however was not able to post because of some glitch. But can someone tell me why I suck? Did I do something wrong?