Small cabinet build-along
(06-02-2020, 10:48 AM)Aram Wrote: No door. Just a pull-out unit with 5 shelves.

(06-11-2020, 09:20 PM)Aram Wrote: No, not that complicated. Right will be a cabinet space with a door in front. Center is 5 drawers. Left is a... like, vertical drawer with shelves in it.

For some reason I thought you were not doing doors.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A little classical, Wynton Marsalis playing Haydn's Trumpet Concerto. Then I fell back on rock again. Today was a quiet hand tool day, and I have pretty nice stereo, so I played some of my better sounding remastered CDs. Steely Dan, Aja. Boz Scaggs, Silk Degrees. Tom Petty, D@mn the Torpedoes. 

Mission was to make shelves to act as drawer runners in the middle section. I tried solid shelves, and gave up in a hurry. Too bendy. I supposed a frame would have a better chance of staying flat. So I made four of them. At 1/8" thick, this was not going to be trivial. Glued up: [Image: i-23tZ95b-M.jpg]

Joinery is a half lap. Mostly done on the router table, but touched up with a shoulder plane.

[Image: i-kJfGxjS-M.jpg]

After gluing, fitted it to width, and cut little notches for the front (lower left, shown prior to final chisel cleanup).

[Image: i-CfRms6b-M.jpg]

Dry fit looks like this.

[Image: i-463PsKr-M.jpg]

Ideally, the frames are flat, and parallel to one another. In reality, they will sag just a touch -- though careful glue-up might help. And they are not perfectly parallel, though they are very close. Even a tiny bit of rocking or crookedness will not be a good thing. I'll do my best to address that when I make the drawers.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
When you make the drawers is there a way to have the drawers support the upper framing in the middle?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

The good news, I got an excellent new-to-me Howlin' Wolf CD.

The rest was an exercise in stupidity. I can barely get my fingers in these things, never mind see inside. I'll chuck this, and find a way to fit drawers -- like I should have done in the first place. 

[Image: i-sb2ZTDj-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(06-23-2020, 08:44 PM)Aram Wrote: The good news, I got an excellent new-to-me Howlin' Wolf CD.

The rest was an exercise in stupidity. I can barely get my fingers in these things, never mind see inside. I'll chuck this, and find a way to fit drawers -- like I should have done in the first place. 

[Image: i-sb2ZTDj-M.jpg]

Why can't it be like a removable jewelry drawers?

(06-24-2020, 10:19 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Why can't it be like a removable jewelry drawers?

If you are saying what I think you are, it will be. And should have been. I have to retrofit something for the drawers to ride on.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I thought you were going to chuck the white box part which is why I asked the question and answer.

It looks really nicely made.

(06-24-2020, 06:32 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I thought you were going to chuck the white box part which is why I asked the question and answer.

It looks really nicely made.

I am going to chuck it. Replacing it with real drawers. That'll teach me!
Best,
Aram, always learning

Why not must make slide in drawers that go into the slots so the drawers can be pulled out and lid or not lifted and jewelry taken out of it.  I think it would look kind of elegant with several pull out drawers using it.

(06-25-2020, 12:49 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Why not must make slide in drawers that go into the slots so the drawers can be pulled out and lid or not lifted and jewelry taken out of it.  I think it would look kind of elegant with several pull out drawers using it.

That's an interesting idea! I still like the simplicity of regular drawers -- I'll have to think about that.

By the way, this cabinet is not for jewelry. If I manage to finish it, you will see what.
Best,
Aram, always learning