Small cabinet build-along
(07-20-2020, 01:34 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: You have a lot of dovetails to do.  Cant wait to see how they work and fit.

Yes, I do. No worries, I am sharpening my Sawzall blade.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(07-20-2020, 02:32 PM)Aram Wrote: Yes, I do. No worries, I am sharpening my Sawzall blade.

I would probably pay to watch you do dove tails with a Sawzall!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Just to prove that I cut dovetails. Or that someone does, and I stick a saw in the kerf for the photo.

[Image: i-FzCpsq5-M.jpg]

I'm usually a pure chopper, but for this many, the fret saw comes out.

[Image: i-98VXKhF-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I spent yesterday making some of the worst dovetails I've made since I started this hobby. I figured out why, and bounced back today.

Spun some of my new jazz acquisitions again, and Aretha Franklin, Neko Case, Squeeze, and some other fun stuff.

You don't need pictures to know how half blinds are made. I will say that that this kerfing tool, Ron Bontz's half blind dovetail tool, is one of my favorite acquisitions in the last few years. This one has a thin plate to match my dozuki. Light taps all the way. I promise you it can be bent; i did that once already. Ron fixed it for me.

[Image: i-6RX6QKW-M.jpg]

I walked out of the shop with some decent progress. All sapele. The fronts are from a plank I bought years ago from Gilmer, but never knew what to do with.

[Image: i-RcXXDNj-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

They look really good.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Wow. I screwed up.

Got through 9 out of 10 dovetailed drawer fronts and sides before it occurred to me to check them. Only one sits flat. I make lots of mistakes, but this is rarely one of them.

I might be able to remove a sliver or two and coax one or two more into being flat -- maybe -- but I have to redo the rest. this would have bugged me a lot more a few years ago. I marked well and sawed well. At least the dovetails are tight. Slightly crooked, but tight. All I can figure is that I did not hold the pieces square when I marked out the half blinds. I used Derek's blue tape trick to align them, as well as a square, so I'm not sure where I went wrong. I better figure it out quick! 

Luckily, I have more of the same board for the fronts. And I can make the wide fronts I messed up into narrow fronts, of course.
Best,
Aram, always learning

To bad Aram..........
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(08-05-2020, 12:11 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: To bad Aram..........

Hey, more shop time for me! 
Cool
Best,
Aram, always learning

(08-05-2020, 12:30 PM)Aram Wrote: Hey, more shop time for me! 
Cool

Is this what the new saw is for??

(08-06-2020, 12:35 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Is this what the new saw is for??

Well... the new dozuki, when it arrives from Japan (!) will be for this kind of joinery. But I will never buy a tool to solve a technique problem!

I think I know what happened.

On a number of drawers, one side is angled downward by 1/16 - 1/8 inch over its ten inch length. That's a lot. Enough that if my marking or sawing were off, there would 1) be visible gaps in the dovetails, or 2) my baselines would be angled visibly. Neither is happening. I finally checked the fronts. Many of them had developed a very small amount of twist after I milled them. It's almost imperceptible, but it's enough to cause the problem, and it is in the right direction for it. That's the problem, as far as I can tell. It took me a few days to figure out.

I was saving a specific piece of Sapele for the drawer fronts, and it bums me out that I'll have to trash a lot of them. But I feel better knowing most of the problems were not due to poor craftsmanship -- this time. (One or two I might have redone anyway, and those are my fault). There should be enough of that board left to start over.
Best,
Aram, always learning