Small cabinet build-along
Goodness you are talking above me in trying to figure it out.

I would have just looked and said Stupid thing and redone it and kick myself for the waste of wood.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I spent last weekend teaching myself how to saw again. I'm not joking. I totally lost it.

I've been rebuilding drawers this week. Here are ten that I think I can work with. Just the fronts and sides so far. Finished this stack today, with a lot of 1970s soul music on the stereo.

[Image: i-P556Fqg-M.jpg]
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I'm along for the ride, and loving it.  Since the move, I haven't had much "pleasue" shop time, all been related to settling in here on the new farm.  (Okay, we enjoy ANY shop time, but y'all know what I mean.). Can't wait to see the finished project.

Smirk
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Maybe, you should fix the drawers *before* the new saw arrives. You may need to build a few apothecary chests before you train the new one to work properly; my experience, anyway. No, I burned through a few sticks trying to cut straight lines, and finally gave up.

Your work is a pleasure to watch. Thanks for including me (us) on the ride.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(08-16-2020, 10:46 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Maybe, you should fix the drawers *before* the new saw arrives.
This project probably won't see a single cut by the new saw, I bet

You may need to build a few apothecary chests before you train the new one to work properly; my experience, anyway. No, I burned through a few sticks trying to cut straight lines, and finally gave up.
I will practice with it for sure. My technique will have to be light and perfect if I want to keep the teeth. 

Your work is a pleasure to watch. Thanks for including me (us) on the ride.
Thank you. It's fun. Mistakes and all.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

You may need to build a few apothecary chests before you train the new one to work properly; my experience, anyway. No, I burned through a few sticks trying to cut straight lines, and finally gave up.

I will practice with it for sure. My technique will have to be light and perfect if I want to keep the teeth. 

Oh! I thought you were using a traditional dozuki, or similar, already. No. Impulse hardened teeth don't do well in any circumstance, for me. I stripped teeth from three blades when redecking last year. The last blade was shy 50% of teeth in the end. I even tried to use the rip side for cross-cutting WRC. 

You need a traditional blade.... The one I tried was like slicing through butter with a feather; a feather having razor edges. To me cutting felt like buzzing through a log with an overly, almost, raked and newly filed chainsaw. (Sawyers are the only people who understand that experience. Sorry. Bad example.) 

Get on the horn to Stan. Then, get him to track down a few good sharpening services. We may still have a guy in the SF Bay area, but on your own is not something I want to play at.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(08-17-2020, 11:05 AM)hbmcc Wrote: You may need to build a few apothecary chests before you train the new one to work properly; my experience, anyway. No, I burned through a few sticks trying to cut straight lines, and finally gave up.

Oh! I thought you were using a traditional dozuki, or similar, already. No. Impulse hardened teeth don't do well in any circumstance, for me. I stripped teeth from three blades when redecking last year. The last blade was shy 50% of teeth in the end. I even tried to use the rip side for cross-cutting WRC. 

You need a traditional blade.... The one I tried was like slicing through butter with a feather; a feather having razor edges. To me cutting felt like buzzing through a log with an overly, almost, raked and newly filed chainsaw. (Sawyers are the only people who understand that experience. Sorry. Bad example.) 

Get on the horn to Stan. Then, get him to track down a few good sharpening services. We may still have a guy in the SF Bay area, but on your own is not something I want to play at.
I’m not sure I follow your comment. We are probably talking about different things.

I have been using the “hardwood” dozuki that Hida used to sell. It carries the Mitsukawa name, but at the price point is obviously not hand made. It’s a good saw and works well enough in hard woods, though it can be a little grabby at the start. Wilbur Pan has sharpened it for me. It is not impulse hardened.

The saw I bought from Stan is already in the works. He told his master saw guy,   Takijiro, the kind of work I do, range of sizes, typical wood species. Takijiro Decided what saw I need, and is retoothing one he already fabricated.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(08-17-2020, 06:13 PM)Aram Wrote: I’m not sure I follow your comment. We are probably talking about different things.

I have been using the “hardwood” dozuki that Hida used to sell. It carries the Mitsukawa name, but at the price point is obviously not hand made. It’s a good saw and works well enough in hard woods, though it can be a little grabby at the start. Wilbur Pan has sharpened it for me. It is not impulse hardened.

The saw I bought from Stan is already in the works. He told his master saw guy,   Takijiro, the kind of work I do, range of sizes, typical wood species. Takijiro Decided what saw I need, and is retoothing one he already fabricated.

Yup, my bad. Hardened teeth zip off like corn kernels. I can't imagine traditional blades are that bad.
Everything OK Aram??

You have not posted any progress for several weeks.
Crazy
Crazy
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-30-2020, 02:54 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Everything OK Aram??

You have not posted any progress for several weeks.
Crazy
Crazy

Thanks, Arlin. Dealing with some medical issues, shop not on my recent priority list. Will be back soon I think.
Best,
Aram, always learning