Digital collections
(03-04-2020, 10:32 PM)Birdseye Bill Wrote: Share? As in let you make a copy for yourself? That's not legal. It may seem harmless but it's really not. If you want them, pony up a few bucks. It would be better for all of us to do the right thing.

(03-05-2020, 06:24 AM)nodima Wrote: <sarcasm>Yeah, I just spent $100 bucks each on them.  Sure, here's a copy.  </sarcasm>

Sorry guys was just asking. Growing up in the digital world and doing the work I do as well as graduating with media arts degree I have had to find loop hole and other work around. Maybe should say if anyone is looking to get rid of some hardcopies and switching to digital let me know.
Funnin' around aside and I mean this in a positive light . . . . The digital version of shoplifting costs us all. Those of us that sell our work don't go through the time, cost and effort just to have it stolen.
Wink
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

(03-05-2020, 11:49 AM)GeeDub Wrote: Funnin' around aside and I mean this in a positive light . . . .  The digital version of shoplifting costs us all.  Those of us that sell our work don't go through the time, cost and effort just to have it stolen.
Wink

Sorry if this is super obvious. There is a woodworking group not far from me with a lending library for members. Maybe a group in your area would like your old hard copies. We may not be able to share digital content, but we can legally share hard copies.
I have digital versions, and have given away all the hardcopies except the two (eg woodwork) that have reference value. The digital versions are used to find the articles I need, but I prefer to read the printed versions. I have stopped all the subscriptions, and so far have not felt any loss as I can still find lots of information needed, free online.

Simon
Yet another thread hijacker, here. Those of you that search your digital versions, how do you go about doing it? I've used a program called Foxit Reader to search the PDFs in a particular folder, but it's really slow. I started looking at PDF indexing and what I was seeing was getting pricey considering the simplicity of the task, or at least how simple I perceive it to be.
Well I love the paper kind any day but my wife would like me to find a place to store some of them.

I share all the magazines with the vets and if we have more then one copy I give it to my local VA hospital who lays them around the hospital and offices.

I did get Woodsmith and ShopNotes for a while and Wood but could not afford them any more so I just get Woodsmith tips that they send out via email.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Quote:Growing up in the digital world and doing the work I do as well as graduating with media arts degree I have had to find loop hole and other work around.

Stealing is a work around?!?
WTF!
Having a degree in media arts in today’s day and age there’s no way you don’t know this request is stealing.
It’s Shameful.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(03-05-2020, 08:38 AM)briman87 Wrote: Sorry guys was just asking. Growing up in the digital world and doing the work I do as well as graduating with media arts degree I have had to find loop hole and other work around. Maybe should say if anyone is looking to get rid of some hardcopies and switching to digital let me know.

I have seen online auction sites listing original DVDs or USBs at discounted prices. If someone installed the disk and decided to resell the original, I suppose it was not illegal or unethical unless the sales terms (fine print) said otherwise. Anyone know?

Simon
(03-05-2020, 07:55 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Stealing is a work around?!?
WTF!
Having a degree in media arts in today’s day and age there’s no way you don’t know this request is stealing.
It’s Shameful.

In work it is mostly reverse engineering parts or sourcing out the parts to build items.

Also a lot of time there is terms and conditions that list the amount of times they allow downloads.
(03-05-2020, 08:03 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I have seen online auction sites listing original DVDs or USBs at discounted prices. If someone installed the disk and decided to resell the original, I suppose it was not illegal or unethical unless the sales terms (fine print) said otherwise. Anyone know?

Simon

Technically if you buy it and then sell it that is legal as well.
I purchased Fine Woodworking on a thumb drive and was very disappointed. The quality of the images is low. On my laptop, which has a fairly large screen, the print is too small for me to read, so I can't view an entire page. This isn't a problem on my main computer since it has a larger screen, but I had visions of sitting comfortably on the couch reading through each issue. The other problem I had was there were blank spots throughout several issues. At first it only seemed to happen on advertisements so I didn't let it bother me, I figured it was products they no longer wished to be associated with. Then parts of articles were missing and in one case an entire article was missing. I contacted Taunton Press and their response was that the purchase came with one year access to online content. Well thats fine for that year, what about after that? Needless to say, I am soured on the whole digital magazine experience, and on Taunton Press.
Wally