Refinishing maple stair hand railings
Hi

The stair railings in our house are 20 years old and the finish is getting worn and dirt is getting embedded in.

I’d like to refinish them.

I think some time hand sanding is better over chemical stripper however I’m not sure what a good clear top coat is.

Arm R Seal comes to mind. Will that hold up or should I go with a thicker film like spar varnish?

Mike
(03-04-2020, 12:46 PM)mikefm101 Wrote: Hi

The stair railings in our house are 20 years old and the finish is getting worn and dirt is getting embedded in.  

I’d like to refinish them.  

I think some time hand sanding is better over chemical stripper however I’m not sure what a good clear top coat is.  

Arm R Seal comes to mind.  Will that hold up or should I go with a thicker film like spar varnish?

Mike

I used Arm-R-Seal on some curly maple handrails I made over 10 years ago.  After 5 years of daily use they still looked great.  Haven't had a chance to see them since then.  Three to five thin coats on most woods should be fine.  

If you like a little darker look consider Waterlox Original.  Same easy wiping varnish and also very durable.  

john