Another skunk thread
Was having some issues out at the chicken coop with an animal burrowing under the coop.  Last Thursday, caught a pocket gopher in one of the live traps I had set.  Quickly dispatched, holes covered, and traps put away.

Yesterday morning, LOML told me that a new hole had appeared and something was under the coop.  This hole was much larger than the ones previous.  Set out two live traps yesterday afternoon, baited with peanut butter.

Don't know why, but in the middle of the night, I woke up thinking about what I'd do if I caught a skunk.  We've had skunks out there before, and we've seen them on the game cam, but we've managed to scare them off.

This morning, I went out and pointed my high-power light down toward the coop, and sure enough, there's a skunk in one of the traps.  Being already dressed for my work day (only 7 more work days until retirement -- stealth gloat!), I decided to let Mr./Ms. Skunk stay in the trap and I'll deal with it when I get home.

Here's the problem:  When I put the traps out, I didn't think about what I'd do if I caught a skunk.  I thought that perhaps I was dealing with a possum since they're more plentiful around our place and they have been hanging around the coop.  The trap which now contains a skunk, is inside the fenced in run, and getting to that trap in a calm manner to cover it with a tarp is going to be difficult, if not nearly impossible.

The skunk is going to get dispatched, in any case.  I'm just trying to do this without a scent release.  I can get a clear shot, but there's still a strong likelihood of a scent release; at least I won't get sprayed. 

I'll have to bury the carcass afterward.

Willing to listen to ideas.
Shooting it from a safe distance is the only thing I can think off. If you have a 22 centerfire, you might be more assured of a quick kill with a head shot...but I think if the rifle of choice was a 22 rimfire, I would probably consider a shotgun instead. What would be the safe distance? I suspect it's closer to 15 feet than 50.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Ok, dont do the head shot. That's a good way to get it to spray, lol. Heart/lung is the way to go. They still leak a little, but it's not a spray.

When I have a skunk in an uncovered trap, I hold a tarp, contractor bag/etc up so he cant see me, walk up slowly, and cover it. Easy peasy. One of my techs just used an old rain coat yesterday.

Dont stress out of it. 99% of the time they are incredibly docile and asleep during the day.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

As for dispatch, shooting works, but swimming lessons work better IME.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

The trap is on the inside of a chicken run that is currently locked up.  It has wire mesh fencing around it, and no cover, so sneaking up will be difficult at best.

Understand about the heart/lung shot vice head shot.  That's easy without getting inside spray range.

As for drowning: that would require a truck trip away form the property since I live on top of a hill and have no water on the property.
Move to the city.

I hate wildlife.  We get a possum every now and then, I catch in a live trap, I call the city, they come pick it up and release elsewhere.
For the future, putting the trap at the entrance hole where they are entering the coop makes an easy spot to access.
Matt

-Jack Handy

I'm dealing with skunks living under the hen house floor also. I've found three holes I need to cover up with tin patches.
I shoot on site. I don't trap skunks.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The first thing you have to do is learn to hum according to Havaheart traps
Big Grin :  https://www.havahart.com/how-to-get-rid-of-skunks

• Hold a large towel or sheet in front of you, down to your toes, as you walk towards the trap.
  • Approach a trapped skunk calmly, humming softly as you near the trap in order to avoid startling the animal.
  • Drop the towel or sheet over the cage once you reach it. Skunks don't like to spray if they can't see their target.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-05-2020, 08:50 AM)WxMan Wrote: As for drowning: that would require a truck trip away form the property since I live on top of a hill and have no water on the property.

A large trash can works fine as a makeshift swimmin' hole.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15