Delta Router Shaper...Anyone Use One?
I picked this up the other day pretty cheap just as a curiosity with another more legit purchase. No throat inserts. No wrenches...just a fence and it does work. Did I waste my money? I figured I could set it up as a single use router... always need a roundover... I didn't realize how little I can find out about this. It didn't have good reviews years ago.
Anyone use it? Any suggestions?

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(03-07-2020, 09:30 PM)Scott W Wrote: I picked this up the other day pretty cheap just as a curiosity with another more legit purchase. No throat inserts. No wrenches...just a fence and it does work. Did I waste my money? I figured I could set it up as a single use router... always need a roundover... I didn't realize how little I can find out about this. It didn't have good reviews years ago.

I've never used one so no experience. Seems like a router table alternative. How fast does it turn? Does it have enough power to spin a panel raising router bit? What kind of cutter mounting mechanism? Threaded spindle? Router Collet? How much would it cost to get wrenches & inserts? MLCS sells cutters for smaller shapers like this with threaded spindles.
How fast does it turn? 
Dont have a clue. Sounds fast. Haha

Does it have enough power to spin a panel raising router bit? 
Dont know.  Wouldn't be my intended purpose  anyway.

What kind of cutter mounting mechanism? 
No idea.

Threaded spindle? Dont know. 

Router Collet? 
Dont know. 

How much would it cost to get wrenches & inserts?
Can't really find anything.  That's why I am posting this.. is it even worth the trouble to try and work around the challenge? 

MLCS sells cutters for smaller shapers like this with threaded spindles.
Ok.
If it is a Model 43-505, after a quick search, it appears the unit has a collet that accepts 1/4" and 1/2" router bits. The missing wrenches are in stock at ereplacementparts.com as well as the collets. As for the inserts, you may have to make your own. I would think that you could use 1/4" MDF and make a bunch of them once setup. The MDF can be purchased in small sizes or contact a local cabinet shop for scrap pieces.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I had one and loved it. Sold it years ago in a fit of idiocy.
(03-08-2020, 08:51 AM)museumguy Wrote: If it is a Model 43-505, after a quick search, it appears the unit has a collet that accepts 1/4" and 1/2" router bits. The missing wrenches are in stock at ereplacementparts.com as well as the cosqllets. As for the inserts, you may have to make your own. I would think that you could use 1/4" MDF and make a bunch of them once setup. The MDF can be purchased in small sizes or contact a local cabinet shop for scrap pieces.

Maybe I am blind...I looked at that site and didn't see any. Thanks
(03-08-2020, 12:14 PM)Scott W Wrote: Maybe I am blind...I looked at that site and didn't see any. Thanks

Didn't mean any disrespect. That's why I said if it is that model number. Good luck.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-07-2020, 09:30 PM)Scott W Wrote: I picked this up the other day pretty cheap just as a curiosity with another more legit purchase. No throat inserts. No wrenches...just a fence and it does work. Did I waste my money? I figured I could set it up as a single use router... always need a roundover... I didn't realize how little I can find out about this. It didn't have good reviews years ago.

Around 1991 I worked on a ship in Phila. PA . This was the Mosholu. It was permanently docked and being made into a restaurant. I personally did not use the machine you describe but other carpenters did. My boss had large planers ,saws etc. in his shop but getting them on the ship would be dangerous . We entered and left on a gang plank so large machines were out of the question. Naturally after we were done a wide gang plank with rails was installed.
I was surprised at what that shaper could do. A Delta planer got the same amount of hours with only knife changes  when needed. All of the stock was Honduras mahogany in 4/4 , 6/4, thicknesses. 
Both the shaper and planer ran 10 hours a day, mostly continuous.  Don't know about poor reviews, can only speak for what I saw.
mike
(03-08-2020, 05:03 PM)mike4244 Wrote: Around 1991 I worked on a ship in Phila. PA . This was the Mosholu. It was permanently docked and being made into a restaurant. I personally did not use the machine you describe but other carpenters did. My boss had large planers ,saws etc. in his shop but getting them on the ship would be dangerous . We entered and left on a gang plank so large machines were out of the question. Naturally after we were done a wide gang plank with rails was installed.
I was surprised at what that shaper could do. A Delta planer got the same amount of hours with only knife changes  when needed. All of the stock was Honduras mahogany in 4/4 , 6/4, thicknesses. 
Both the shaper and planer ran 10 hours a day, mostly continuous.  Don't know about poor reviews, can only speak for what I saw.
mike

That's an interesting story. Thanks
I got a delta shopmaster version of one of those several years ago on clearance for about $100

It’s a decent router with integral lift.

Mine uses the same collets as a porter cable 690

The fence it came with wasn’t worth much, but serves as a decent base to build one.

The wrenches it came with were pretty nice, in that one had a nub on the end that dropped into miter slot effectively locking the spindle for bit changes

Duke