Picked up a Delta Rockwell lathe...and I have a few ???

Hi,

Guy in my town is retiring and selling off his tools.  This lathe was his father's and it hadn't been used in 20+ years, so it's a little rough-looking.   It has to be 70+ years old.   I picked it up for $75.  It included a spare motor, a face turning plate (I think) and 5-6 gouges.   While it works, everything needs a little TLC to clean it up.  (I might make a new base for it...more of a splay to the legs to give it more stability).

I have a few questions:

1) What model number is it?  You can see from one of my pictures I show the serial number, but I don't think that's the model number.  Where is it located?  Searching for "user manual for a Delta Rockwell 71-910" got me close, but not my exact model.

2) See the picture of my hand in the tailstock?   I added those washers so that the tailstock could be locked to the rail.  (I have the wrench for that nut).  However, withough those washers, there's not enough thread in that bold to lock the tail stock down.  Is there a spacer I'm missing?  I guess I could take up the space with a few more washers, but I assume this isn't the correct way to do it.

Lastly, I know $75 is extremely cheap.  What do you think it is worth?
Dumber than I appear
Head on over to OWWM; wealth of information on that site, as well as manuals, parts diagrams, etc.
Of course there is a Turning forum here you can ask questions from!

I have that one and so do several others there or had them.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-08-2020, 10:36 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Of course there is a Turning forum here you can ask questions from!

I have that one and so do several others there or had them.

Duh!!!

I never thought about that one since I never visit it.  Thanks Arlin!!!
Dumber than I appear
Looks like a Delta 1460 lathe. At $75 bucks I'd say you did pretty good. I'm guessing you could get $50 easy just for the banjo. Not that I'm saying you should part it out, I'm just using that as a measure of relative value. I don't think these are very popular with serious turners because of all the features on the new lathes, i.e.- variable speed. But, I think it's a decent lathe for someone who just wants to do some occasional turning in their home workshop. I'm not a turner, so take that with a grain of salt, but basing this on what I've seen out in the wild and on the web.
(03-08-2020, 09:58 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

Guy in my town is retiring and selling off his tools.  This lathe was his father's and it hadn't been used in 20+ years, so it's a little rough-looking.   It has to be 70+ years old.   I picked it up for $75.  It included a spare motor, a face turning plate (I think) and 5-6 gouges.   While it works, everything needs a little TLC to clean it up.  (I might make a new base for it...more of a splay to the legs to give it more stability).

I have a few questions:

1) What model number is it?  You can see from one of my pictures I show the serial number, but I don't think that's the model number.  Where is it located?  Searching for "user manual for a Delta Rockwell 71-910" got me close, but not my exact model.

2) See the picture of my hand in the tailstock?   I added those washers so that the tailstock could be locked to the rail.  (I have the wrench for that nut).  However, withough those washers, there's not enough thread in that bold to lock the tail stock down.  Is there a spacer I'm missing?  I guess I could take up the space with a few more washers, but I assume this isn't the correct way to do it.

Not positive but the lock nut you show with the washers may have been originally a locking handle . The thread would be a small amount so the handle would not have to be turned more than a 1/2 turn to lock the tailstock to the bedways. The handles cylinder portion will be unthreaded most of the way so that the handle will slide down to the threaded portion . Then the handle can turn part way around to lock it to the base. I think that under the tailstock there is a plate with the stud welded on. The plate can be turned a few times so it screws to the handle. Make sure the plate goes back in the correct way. Often the plate can go back in a certain way or the stud will not be in correct alignment.
You can substitute the handle for the nut and tommy bar if the handle is not obtainable.
Tighten the nut, mark where you want the end of the  tommy bar ( usually 1/4" rod slipped in a hole so nut can be turned) to stop. Remove the nut, bore the hole. The bar can be threaded if needed into the nut. Use a coupling nut so you have more height to bore for the tommy bar.
mike
(03-08-2020, 09:58 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: Hi,

I have a few questions:

That nut is operated with the wrench on the end of the banjo.  You can find them on Ebay often average $25

[Image: s-l640.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

What type stand is it sitting on the cast iron legs sell for some really good money
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

That's definitely a 1460, as already identified.  Mine was built in December, 1944, making it 75 years old.  So far, 4 generations have used it, and I'm hoping when my grandkids get old enough, one or more do some turning on it.  It's a light duty machine, but I've turned all sorts of stuff on it, from pens and Christmas ornaments to baseball bats and marine flag staffs, including things too long to fit between centers.

What's that under the tailstock?  That tailstock casting should be sitting flat on the ways, but there appears to be something spacing it up.

It's also missing the headstock pulley cover, which may be available from someone parting out a dead machine.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
There's a cast sub-base that's supposed to go under the main tailstock casting.

Note:  The locking handle is custom made and not factory.